Power Steering Whine 91 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcat

Reaction score
I'm put about 300 miles on my new Bronco and I'm starting to hear a power steering whine. I've also noticed a slight smell of burned fluid which I can smell when I shut it off coming right from the steering column. 

So these are the things I think it could be:

pump going out

loose belt

fluid low or leaked out

I've read a few things here and wonder if I should start with adding Lucas Fluid. Also how can I check the serpentine belt? Right before I bought it the previous owner replaced the water pump and I'm wondering if when they put it back together the belt was not put on properly?

Thanks for your input. 

OP
OP
mcat

mcat

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to start looking for one. 

"You can nab a bracket out of any 87-96 Ford Econoline van with a 5.0 or 5.8 engine."

Based on this (from one of the posts) sounds like i need to start looking for the bracket and perhaps a new serpentine belt.

As far as the pump goes, is that what I am looking for?

At O'Reilly Auto Parts 

Cardone - Power Steering Pump 
Part #20-7272 
Line: A1 
•Remanufactured 
•Limited Lifetime Warranty 
$62.99 Each 
Plus Core $35.00 

We have an O Reilly's here in town so I guess I can just go in and see if they have it. Will they refund the core if i bring them my old one?

Unfortunately I am going to have to have a mechanic put it in for me. Any idea on the labor cost on something like this?  I really wish my skills were better. Way back in the stone age -1981- I took auto shop in high school and managed to change the rear drum brakes on a 78 Chevy Nova. And I can change the thermostat on a Camaro but sadly what little skill I had has faded in the last ten years :glare:  

At least when I open the hood of the Bronco I have some idea what everything is!  And with a little patience I may even acquire a few rudimentary skillls.

Thanks for all your input!

Seabronc

Reaction score
I need meisk5 to chime in on that pump.  If I remember correctly, that one may be designed to fit on your existing bracket.  if you get one from a van, take the entire setup, (pump, bracket and high pressure hose).  Any year E series van  with a serpentine system should do. I made my own high pressure hose and fabricated my own bracket, (called doing it the hard way b-( ), but I started with a pump off a 79 F250 so I was sort of comitted, or maybe I should have been comitted some place :-" .

If that is a drop in Saginaw, (bolt holes designed to align with the Ford pump holes), it is not difficult at all.  if you have to replace the bracket then that is a little bit more work.  How long it takes, all depends on the mechanic's skills and how familiar he/she is with the the vehicle.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

wileec

Reaction score
I just got my bracket/pump/hose in about 15-20 minutes and had to remove all of the air cleaner stuff. Took me longer to clean it up. I figure I will try to run the JY pump and  replace if necessary. BTW $27 and change including a 4.50 core for the pump.

Measuring the pulleys the Saginaw is 5.88x and the best I got from my stock one which is had to get to was 6.0x seems to me that the belt should be fine. I will find out on Sunday, maybe, I have to use the Bronco to move my daughter into college apartment on Sat.

OP
OP
mcat

mcat

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the engine area. Can you tell by looking at them if I need the bracket?

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

OP
OP
mcat

mcat

Reaction score
I am happy to report the whining has stopped except for an occasional whine. The power steering is still working great and the only things I did was check the fluid level and turn the steering wheel from side to side.

The Saginaw pump is going on my list of future fixes as I am sure this pump will give out sooner or later, but in the mean time I appreciate my Bronco's ability to self adjust:)

wileec

Reaction score
From all I read the bolt on replacement is not available from Cardone any longer. The bracket is plentiful and cheep. Your pictures look like mine under hood so when I get mine off I will try and compare them. I do not plan on removing either pump from the bracket so we will see what it looks like.

BTW glad to hear it sounds better. That always worries me though since as long as I can hear it I know it is working $-)

wileec

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the stock pump and bracket and the Saginaw (all black pump). It looks like the curve in the bracket around the pump will cause issues.

IMG_20130824_181025_381.jpg

IMG_20130824_181020_612.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23