power steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueJ7

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has ever run into a wobbly power steering unit? I have a 74 bronco with a 302 and it looks like one of the bolts are missing. Can i use any other bolts from other models to stop the shaking or where could I get them? maybe even the brackets that hold the power steering on too.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
What part is "wobbly"? Is the box loose or is the steering sloppy? Where is the bolt missing from? What are your symptoms? Please give more info on what exactly is going on.

OP
OP
BlueJ7

BlueJ7

Reaction score
What part is "wobbly"? The pump where you put the fluid in that holds the pully.

Where is the bolt missing from? The bottom bolt that holds the pump to the bracket.

What are your symptoms? The shaking around of the pump is also affecting the water pump, which I had to replace because it to started to wobble. The steering itself seems to be fine it's just that the pump moves to much which ends up in belt wear sooner and water pump failure.

I tried going to napa, checker, and autozone but none of them could tell me what size of bolt to use and they didn't carry them anyways.

John Eversoll

Reaction score
Your brst bet would be to get the bracket at the wrecking yard

along with the bolts.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Where is the bolt missing from? The bottom bolt that holds the pump to the bracket.
What are your symptoms? The shaking around of the pump is also affecting the water pump, which I had to replace because it to started to wobble. The steering itself seems to be fine it's just that the pump moves to much which ends up in belt wear sooner and water pump failure.
I would have to look at my PS, but I am pretty sure that it is the same as the top bolt. You get a bolt in that bottom and it will stiffen that right up and you won't have near the movement you have now. I might also check to see if those pulleys are bent somewhat. If they are outta whack then you got problems there too. You might think about doing the canned ham/Saganaw pump swap. A little expensive, but it is a stronger, but smaller pump.

Here is a good write up on doing that swap if you are interested in it.

http://classicbroncos.com/saginaw.shtml

Big Country

Reaction score
I would have to look at my PS, but I am pretty sure that it is the same as the top bolt. You get a bolt in that bottom and it will stiffen that right up and you won't have near the movement you have now. I might also check to see if those pulleys are bent somewhat. If they are outta whack then you got problems there too. You might think about doing the canned ham/Saganaw pump swap. A little expensive, but it is a stronger, but smaller pump.

Here is a good write up on doing that swap if you are interested in it.

http://classicbroncos.com/saginaw.shtml

[/quot

canned ham??????????????? what will they come up with next?

OP
OP
BlueJ7

BlueJ7

Reaction score
S_bolt19, thanks for the info ono the signaw but I don't plan on getting big tires, this is just a daily driver, maybe a stock show truck later. Plus where I live there aren't very many salvage yards, so the pickings are slim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23