Power Door Lock & Rain problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teri

Reaction score
Hello.

I have an 87 Bronco 2. I live in Washington State. When it rains, my power door locks begin locking and unlocking by themselves. This can go one all night long and it starts unexpectedly. This includes both the driver's door lock, passenger door lock, and the tailgate door lock. I wanted to simply remove the fuse to deactivate the doorlocks as I don't have a key to lock the doors anyway, but I cannot locate the particular fuse in the fuse box. Does it have a fuse for the door locking system? What other options do I have to deactivate the door locking system without causing an electrical problem elsewhere. I am unable to do any repairwork at present. I just want to deactivate the door-locking system. Can this be done? I hope someone can help.

Sincerely,

Teri in Washington.

pattygook

Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with PDL's but I would imagine you could just take the panel off of your door and unplug the electrical wires from the PDL motor. It sounds like you've got a short in your wiring, you should get that fixed.

CBII

Reaction score
Most likely you have a wiring shorting out. I would inspect the wire bundle where it enters the door(just below your door hinge). You probably have exposed wires due to the exterior plastic shielding being rubbed away. I suspect that when it rains the water is flowing over the exposed wires and is completeing the circuit there for making your door locks go crazy.

If you don't see anything after inspecting there then pull the door panel. At this point you'll want to trace every wire and pay close attention to anywhere that the wire bundle comes in close contact with any moving metal parts.

Once you have found that exposed wire/s you'll have to tape them up. You may have replace a chunk of the Loom(ribbed black plastic coving the wire bundle).

Hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula