Please Help, 90 Xlt Wont Start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jinxstar

Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone can help me with a problem im having with my truck. Yesterday morning I tried to start my truck, without luck. If I set the key to the on spot the battery symbol and the check engine symbol come on. I checked the battery and its fine. Also the car is in a heated garage so cold isn't a factor. If I try to start the car the engines just turns over like normal. But it never starts. Im only 17 so I have no clue what's wrong. Before this I haven't seen any signs that would indicate something is wrong.... Can anyone please give me some pointers? Thankyou

OP
OP
J

jinxstar

Reaction score
Yes to the spark. No clue how to check for the gas. But i know the pump kicks on.

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
Check for gas.......A few ways. There should be a thing on the fuel line in the engine compartment, that looks like a valve stem like you see on a tire rim. Unscrew the cap and use something to push the little plunger in the middle JUST A LITTLE BIT. If the fuel sysem is presurizing gas will squirt out. Also, after cranking the motor pull a spark plug, see if it smells like gas.

kikenhorse

Motor Man
Reaction score
I have had similar probs with my '90 F150 and each time it has been the relay there are 2 on the inner fender area, passanger side, one has a black top and one a green. Try swithching these with a friends vehicle to see if they are O K . I carry a spare with me now. That stops it from ever happening again it seems.

B

Breeze

Very common for the fuel pump relay to cause the problem you describe. Check the wires/plug (left fender, green), also check the plug at the tank to the pump

OP
OP
J

jinxstar

Reaction score
I figured out the problem was.... Im kind of ashamed I didn't see it the day the truck wouldn't start... The opposite end of the center cable of the distributor wasn't hooked on... I don't know how it unhooked. but I had a friend try to crank the engine and something was throw giant blue sparks... that's how I found it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do have a second problem if anyone is interested... If I turn anything electrical on in the car while its idle, my oil pressure starts dropping and then my battery gauge follows suit... If I rev the gas or I am moving the oil pressure and battery jump right to their normal spots. Does that mean my alternator is going now too?

letrain

Reaction score
probably alternator, those are cheap, but check your connections too, could just be a bad connection

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23