Play in the steering wheel help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eazy-e

Reaction score
My 1990 Bronco has alot of play in the steering wheel and it is time to fix it. I was just wondering what my options are or better yet what do you guys think my game plan should be. :wacko:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
My 1990 Bronco has alot of play in the steering wheel and it is time to fix it. I was just wondering what my options are or better yet what do you guys think my game plan should be. :wacko:
My guess is that your abilities are similar to mine, in that you can change parts but that you are not a real good mechanic. This is what I would do.

Follow your steering wheel through the firewall to the steering shaft and to the steering box. Inbetween there is a "rag" connection. IF that is frayed and sloppy, change it.

IF that doesn't fix your problem, I would take it to a front end shop, and ask them to take a look at it and be straight up with them. I would tell them that I plan to do the work, but don't know what needs to be replaced. Ask them to take a look at it, tell me what to do, and that I would bring it back to them for the alignment when I was finished.

OTOH, you could take it to them for an estimate, and when they tell you $1800 you can say... Holy $h** ! That's more than the truck is worth! I'll have to think about that one!

Of course it may be a $100 job and you can say Yahoo!! do it man!

And that's a whole penny's worth of my thoughts.

joe

OP
OP
eazy-e

eazy-e

Reaction score
My guess is that your abilities are similar to mine, in that you can change parts but that you are not a real good mechanic. This is what I would do.
Follow your steering wheel through the firewall to the steering shaft and to the steering box. Inbetween there is a "rag" connection. IF that is frayed and sloppy, change it.

IF that doesn't fix your problem, I would take it to a front end shop, and ask them to take a look at it and be straight up with them. I would tell them that I plan to do the work, but don't know what needs to be replaced. Ask them to take a look at it, tell me what to do, and that I would bring it back to them for the alignment when I was finished.

OTOH, you could take it to them for an estimate, and when they tell you $1800 you can say... Holy $h** ! That's more than the truck is worth! I'll have to think about that one!

Of course it may be a $100 job and you can say Yahoo!! do it man!

And that's a whole penny's worth of my thoughts.

joe
Thanks dude! You are right my mechanic skills when it comes to a truck are not all that great. But with this said anything to save a dollar and get some more expereance I am all for it ! Even the best mechanics started some where. :rolleyes:

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Its probably the steering shaft, borgeson makes a damn good replacement one for about 240. Thats what the problem with my steerin in my 86

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Thanks dude! You are right my mechanic skills when it comes to a truck are not all that great. But with this said anything to save a dollar and get some more expereance I am all for it ! Even the best mechanics started some where. :rolleyes:
Yep.. I am with you 100%.

I enjoy the satisfaction of being able to say... Damn I'm good! I was able to fix that. Even if I had to spend the money that I saved by doing it myself on tools, I think it is a worthwhile investment.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Hey let me know what you end up replacing with it, I've got the same trouble with mine. I've already tightened up the steering box once and I'm not willing to do that anymore.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hey let me know what you end up replacing with it, I've got the same trouble with mine. I've already tightened up the steering box once and I'm not willing to do that anymore.
Did you take a look at that rag connection within the steering shaft?

That seems to be a fairly common problem.

joe

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I think I did a while ago but it looked ok at the time, but that was maybe 4 years ago and about 6000 miles.

I know the mileage is low, Beast has been down for a while and I haven't been in the mood to try to fix it lately LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
eazy-e

eazy-e

Reaction score
I think I did a while ago but it looked ok at the time, but that was maybe 4 years ago and about 6000 miles.I know the mileage is low, Beast has been down for a while and I haven't been in the mood to try to fix it lately LOL
I was trying to get to it this weekend but it seems like the stomach virus had other plans for my house hold. I was the first victom then my wife. I will try and check out the rag and the other stuff you guys suggested sometime this week. I will keep you guys posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23