Painting Bronco top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzCritter

Reaction score
So has anyone come up with a way to revitalize the black rear top cover on any year Bronco other than painting it? If not, has anyone had good luck painting the rear fiberglass top? Mine is in bad shape and the fiberglass is starting to peal up. Not sure if paint alone is the answer?

OP
OP
A

AzCritter

Reaction score
Wow technical jargon. I was thinking several rattle cans of Krylon matte black? Thank you for the advice. I may contact you in the future so you can decipher all that you shared with me. I am obviously not an experienced car painter. But I will take your advice to heart.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I scuffed mine with a scotch brite pad and sprayed it with a acrylic laquer. Held up fine for lots of years not.

When you scuff you need to get the shine off.

You can sand but it will smooth the texture of the top if that is important to you.

But it really is no different than painting any body panel.

sinker4

Reaction score
My top is Tan. I mask off the paint and wipe it down with laquer thinner and a scotch bright pad to clean it then wipe on clear acrylic { the type used on linoleum flooring} using a clean cotton cloth. The acrylic needs to dry till its not tacky.

Ric330

Reaction score
Don't laugh....1/2 Boiled Linseed Oil & 1/2 paint thinner. Not lacquer thinner...just cheap paint thinner. Wipe it on with a soft cloth then wipe the excess off after an hour or so. You will be amazed. Also great on ATV or UTV plastics.

TIGR96

Reaction score
I just cleaned mine up real good, made sure it was thoroughly dry, masked off the windows with news paper and blue painters tape, then hit it with some good Rustoleum paint from Walmart. It’s holding up great so far, and from 5 feet away, you’d think I’d paid a shop $500 to do it. It’s not perfect, but for about $20 in supplies and a few hours of my time, it’s awesome!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke