paint job suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illinoisbronco

Reaction score
i am in the slow process of sanding and repainting my truck does anyone know if you HAVE to strip it to the bare metal or if you can just take the clear coating off? i am just going to leave it primer for a couple of months. also i do have a paintgun for the project.

anyone have a suggestion for the paint color or scheme???

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If you have the original paint job on the Bronco, I would not sand down to bare metal. The factorry primer is baked on and about as tough and durable as you can get. The exterior paint color will depend alot on the interior, as you want it both to work together. A blue or tan interior works well with blue, white, black. A red interior doesn't work well with green or blue. Are you wanting a show-qualityt paint job, or just something that looks good for little cost? I had a dude re-paint the 84 Bronco for $1300, and most of that was the cost of the paint. He used three coats of PPG Ford medium metallic urethane, and PPG Ford indigo blue metallic for the Shaker hood. Then he applied 3 coats of clear with a sealer/hardener. JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto on JSM's comment. The only place I would go to the metal is where you have a rust spot showing up. There I would sand down to the metal to determine if it was a surface rust caused by a flaw in the original paint or a rust thru starting. In either case, you need to do something about it. In the case of a rust thru starting, you need to cut out the bad spot and replace the metal. In the case of a surface rust caused by a defect in the original painting, you need to apply a rust converter/killer to that area before continuing.

The existing surface needs to be free of wax and contaminants plus lightly roughed, primed and wet sanded to make it as smooth as possible, (get a painting book if you plan on doing it yourself, you can find them in the Auto books section of any book store). The finish will only look as good as the prep work looks.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
illinoisbronco

illinoisbronco

Reaction score
Ditto on JSM's comment. The only place I would go to the metal is where you have a rust spot showing up. There I would sand down to the metal to determine if it was a surface rust caused by a flaw in the original paint or a rust thru starting. In either case, you need to do something about it. In the case of a rust thru starting, you need to cut out the bad spot and replace the metal. In the case of a surface rust caused by a defect in the original painting, you need to apply a rust converter/killer to that area before continuing.
The existing surface needs to be free of wax and contaminants plus lightly roughed, primed and wet sanded to make it as smooth as possible, (get a painting book if you plan on doing it yourself, you can find them in the Auto books section of any book store). The finish will only look as good as the prep work looks.

Good luck,

:)>-
thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. ill pst pictures when im done. im thinking yellow with a black stripe. maybe even a batman symbol with fake fiberglass rockets i dont know.

boss

Reaction score
i am in the slow process of sanding and repainting my truck does anyone know if you HAVE to strip it to the bare metal or if you can just take the clear coating off? i am just going to leave it primer for a couple of months. also i do have a paintgun for the project.
anyone have a suggestion for the paint color or scheme???

Only if you had something crazy like 6 paint jobs already would you want to strip it. Here have a look at what I'm doing

http://www.4x4preservation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23