Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
500 miles on the rebuild today, so it got an oil change :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Happy to say, no leaks of oil or water at all :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My biggest complaint is why in the he-ll did ford have to put the filter over that dam cross member.... pita.... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Quck tip for the day: Place a zip-lock bag over the filter, seal it up, and pull the filter out from above. There's NWIH I can get it thru the maze of hoses and stuff without turning the old filter upside-down, as it barely fits only that way. I hate spending half an hour cleaning up all of the oil after changing the filter.

Streetgang44

Reaction score
Sweet tip!!!! It always seamed that no matter how much speedy dry, or how I positioned the drain pan.....I ALWAYS got oil on the floor. This becomes a problem when you change your oil every 2500 miles like I do.

Thanks!!!!

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
This becomes a problem when you change your oil every 2500 miles like I do.
2500 miles! doesnt that seem a little excessive i can easily run full synthetic 8000 miles before a change. I think that there is a cost savings with synthetic. it costs 2x than regular but lasts 3x longer. the oil is always in good shape and isnt excessively black. definately worth the money. as for bigNasty, you shouldn't use synthetic before 5000 miles because the parts havent all sealed properly. because synthetic is thinner that regular, you will burn some if you use it early.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
Yeah.. sinthetick oh-eel isn't in my vocab-you-larry :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And that brings up an ineteresting thought.. I forget which one, pep boyz or autistic auto will only warranty their engines IF you break them in and use synthetic oil in them exclusively :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

G

2500 miles.....excessive....no. 99% of my driving is in and around NYC.....and it does sit idling sometimes because of my dogs needing the AC. The short trips and idling reduce useful oil life. Usually I do it <3000K miles, and I always add a quart of Lucas oil treatment. I bought this 93 Ed Bow with 74K miles on it, and the PO did take good care of her....just not as good as me.

"because synthetic is thinner that regular, you will burn some if you use it early. "

Its not that the synthetic is "thinner".....its that the synthetic has much better anti wear properties, and the the break in/wear in of a new engine will not take place as it should, or it may take longer. On any brand new/rebuilt motor I switch to full synthetic at 2500 miles using either Amsoil, or Royal Purple, or Mobil One.

On the other hand I never switch over a older engine that has been using petroleum based oil to synthetic with more than 40 or 50 K miles on it, because it will sometimes tend to develop leaks. With the petroleum based oil sediments build up in areas that could potentially leak, and then when you switch over to the full synthetic, because of the very strong detergents, and much better flow characteristics of the synthetic it can clean out these deposits, and the seal/gasket area will leak.

All in all.....yes I think using full synthetic is a better value due to extended service intervals. I have sent out samples of synthetic Amsoil 5W30 with 10>K miles on it to be analyzed for useful service, and the reports have always come back saying it had at least 40% service life left on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23