No Reverse lamp power, no trailer plug power, OBD plug inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ylekyote

Reaction score
Howdy pilgrims. New here and New to my 1996 4x4 Bronco, 302ci / 5.0L, manual transmission (assume the M5OD), 127,000 miles.

Please help if you have answers for question or pointers. Thanks!

*** What failure points, NOT including the wiring itself, could interrupt both of the Reverse Lights as well as the 6-wire trailer plug, and the OBD scanner plug, or at least the Reverse lights? The check engine light is on, but I can't read the code due to the OBD scanner port not having connection.

All other items/accessories/lights on the 96 Bronco are working. And it's starting and running good also. Previous owner said Reverse lights, trailer plug and OBD scanner plug worked a few weeks ago before I bought it. I assume he's not lying, but he's not giving me any helpful info. But I can see someone had removed some 12v supply insulation at the Left reverse light to check for power...so someone screwed around with it at some time.

I've already checked the single 15-amp fuse (slot #5) under the hood, all relays under the hood, the manual transmission reverse position switch (and jumpered it), visually checked all points of wire I can see, and confirmed the ground is good all down the wire and at the bulbs.

I also checked and confirmed 12v at the harness feeding the reverse position switch and its ground.

The problem is the 12v is not making it past something, like another switch or splice I don't know of, that's located between the fuse box and the split where 12v goes to the trailer plug and the Reverse lights. And the OBD connection could be related also, I suppose.

Thanks much!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are separate problems. You know that right?

OBD power I believe is the same fuse as the power outlet, does that work?

Manual transmission will have a little 2 wire sensor on it and that is what operates the reverse lights. So you need to check for 12V on both sides of that switch with the power on and shifter in reverse.

What isn't working on the 6 wire trailer plug? Markers? Turn signals? Brake lights?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Howdy pilgrims. New here and New to my 1996 4x4 Bronco, 302ci / 5.0L, manual transmission (assume the M5OD), 127,000 miles.

Please help if you have answers for question or pointers. Thanks!

*** What failure points, NOT including the wiring itself, could interrupt both of the Reverse Lights as well as the 6-wire trailer plug, and the OBD scanner plug, or at least the Reverse lights? The check engine light is on, but I can't read the code due to the OBD scanner port not having connection.

All other items/accessories/lights on the 96 Bronco are working. And it's starting and running good also. Previous owner said Reverse lights, trailer plug and OBD scanner plug worked a few weeks ago before I bought it. I assume he's not lying, but he's not giving me any helpful info. But I can see someone had removed some 12v supply insulation at the Left reverse light to check for power...so someone ******* around with it at some time.

I've already checked the single 15-amp fuse (slot #5) under the hood, all relays under the hood, the manual transmission reverse position switch (and jumpered it), visually checked all points of wire I can see, and confirmed the ground is good all down the wire and at the bulbs.

I also checked and confirmed 12v at the harness feeding the reverse position switch and its ground.

The problem is the 12v is not making it past something, like another switch or splice I don't know of, that's located between the fuse box and the split where 12v goes to the trailer plug and the Reverse lights. And the OBD connection could be related also, I suppose.

Thanks much!
Have you checked the bulbs? If the ends are silver. More then likely they are made in China. Check the bubs with a jumper wire and check the sockets too. The China bulbs DO NOT fit snug in the sockets either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno