No gas to carb PT.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handsome Jerry

Reaction score
So here I am e few months later and still having problems. After changing to Holley's version of a rebuilt Motorcraft carb, an electric fuel pump, alternator, battery cables, fuel filters here I am. It has been driven but not far.

So the gas gets to the carb, timing is right on and idles fine. After about twenty minutes, damn thing runs out of gas and pump stops pumping. Though I can hear it pumping just no flow. I've tried it with and without gas cap and have the same results. I'm pondering another tank now or yet another electric fuel pump. Any suggestions on this problem?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
That has the "earmarks" of a plugged fuel line....

It's pretty easy to pull the sending unit(s) & see if the pick-up tube is clogged. It usually has a strainer on the end.

Of course., you need the tank low., or empty to do this.

You can then shine a light into the tank & maybe wiggle a coat-hanger thru the hole & see what's float'n 'round in there.

Prob. time to pull the tank & flush it out.

-OR- the tank switching valve could be plugged., or any other part of the tank to pump fuel line.

For example., I blew out a wasps nest fr. one vehicles fuel line..!! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

7bronco1

Reaction score
make sure your fuel lines arent to close to the exhaust its not common on early broncos but it sounds like your truck might be vapor locking. Boiling fuel doesnt pump

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
So here I am e few months later and still having problems. After changing to Holley's version of a rebuilt Motorcraft carb, an electric fuel pump, alternator, battery cables, fuel filters here I am. It has been driven but not far.

So the gas gets to the carb, timing is right on and idles fine. After about twenty minutes, damn thing runs out of gas and pump stops pumping. Though I can hear it pumping just no flow. I've tried it with and without gas cap and have the same results. I'm pondering another tank now or yet another electric fuel pump. Any suggestions on this problem?
when I first got my bonco the tank was a rusty mess, I did all that you did and finally replaced the tank and it ran great and then after wheelling went propane but that is not for everyone, those old tanks have rust and junk in them and need either a dip or a 25 gallon repalcement, get a new tank you might be happy

Just pulled my 65 stang outa storage and it took a new tank and pump and a carb cleaning too run perfect 200$

Last edited by a moderator:

gettin there

Reaction score
I went trough 3 electric fuel pumps in 5 months with the same symptoms. Make sure your fuel pump is run through a relay and a breaker to ensure a steady electric flow. My 302 would run like a champ then die....

I could pull start it once sometimes twice but it would not run after that. New fuel pump, two months down the road, yep. Same thing. Since then I have re-plumbed my entire fuel line, blown out the tanks and hope to have this problem behind me.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Root710