No 4X4 please help winters coming!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsiemon

Reaction score
My 94 bronco has an Auto Transfer case, and auto locking hubs. I checked it about a month ago and everything was working perfect. I just checked it in prep for the winter, and it doesn't work. I used to get either 2 or three clicks and it would be in 4 wheel drive, now it clicks once, and about 10 seconds later clicks again disengaging whatever it engaged. There are no lights that come on when i hit the button. I'm not sure if its a bad solenoid, transfer case, wire, or hubs. Anyone ever have this problem?

Thanks for you help!!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I have a manual transfer case so I won't be of much help, but first chance you get, why don't you take a look underneath and see if there is anything obvious like a wire hanging on by a thread.

I guess the next thing would be to check for the amount of voltage at the solinoid, and the associated ground.

At least I can help you determine if you have a good ground.

How to Check a ground

Turn the power to the circuit on, and using a digital volt meter, put one lead to the grounded wire, and the other to a good ground. If there is voltage, clean your ground.

Turn power to the circuit off, and use a self powered test light, or an ohm meter, and test the grounded wire to a good ground. IF the light goes on, or there is continuity on the ohm meter, then the ground is probably good. (There may still be ressistance in the connection, if significant one will see it in the ohm meter, or the light may not shine brightly.) Using a DVM is a better method!

good ground.

The best ground is the battery neg terminal. There may be some resistance in the battery connector, and wire(s) that then connect to the engine block, body frame, and interframe connections. To locate a good ground, one should use a DVM digital volt meter, and put one probe to the bat neg terminal, and the other to a ground. Ideally there will be no voltage recorded (unless there is an open) a few millivolts are acceptable. If one finds voltage, one must locate any poor connections between that ground and the neg terminal of the bat, and clean it.

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
I haven't checked the grounds, but I did look at all the wires and they do seem to be snug and nothing is loose or dangling.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Ooops!

I just looked at my Haynes manual, and it is quit different than I imagined.

You're going to have to get some help from someone who knows what he is talking about.

I was thinking that the shift solinoid was similar to the soilinoid on a starter pushing the bendix drive into play, and that it took the place of the manual shift lever. Well I was wrong, and there are a number of sensors that come into play as well.

These guys are good, and I'll be watching this thread so that I can learn too!

Have a nice weekend.

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
ok thanks for your help, I have to go over to my friends and take a look in his chiltons

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
Try tapping (dont' try to break it, just to jar it loose) on the transfer case motor with a wrench or something. If you think that it's engaging, then try to turn the front driveshaft by hand. That'll tell you if it's really engaged or not.

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
Neither the transfer case or the auto locking hubs are engaging. Therefore I think its either a wire issue or a bad solenoid.

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
the hubs won't engage until the transfer case has engaged. it's pretty common for the electric shift motor to go out.

92bronco_in_progress

Yeah its a 92 bronco
Reaction score
your gonna need a test light, a buddy, and a chiltons for the wireing diagram......i don't have mine handy......if you have power to the motor chances are the motor took a S*it, if you don't, check the relays and/or fuses related to the t-case motor, just for you future reference, the auto locking hubs do not engage until the vehicle has moved 10 feet in either direction with it in 4X4, and same when disengaging

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
I'm trying to locate the shift control module, but I am not sure where it is. I believe it is under the passanger side kicker, but can't seem to locate it

Thanks!

Below is a picture of the part i am trying to find

t41793041.gif

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
Ok nevermind as soon as i went back out with a flashlight I found it no problem, and everything seems to be in perfect working order..... but still no 4X4

92bronco_in_progress

Yeah its a 92 bronco
Reaction score
the problem might be in the motor, it might not be strong enough anymore to make the full shift into 4X4, so when it gets caught up the module tells it to go back to 2 wheel drive

BB33's

Reaction score
I'm sorry I ignored this post for so long, when I first got my '95 it did the same thing and after changing the motor (my dad owns a junkyard it only took a walk out back to ****** a motor to find out) it worked fine.

Reaction score
just fixed mine that had the same problem only mine is 1988.

look in your right kick panel there is a computer ecm there that is bad you can get a new one from a junk yard for about 20.00.

also for 80.00 go get warn manual lock outs so you know there ingauged. don't pay to have them put in do it yourself they are very very easy to do if you have ?'s email me at [email protected]

hope this helps

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
The piece in the right kicker panel checks out fine, i believe its the transfer case motor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat