New Here, 82 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Name is Matt, from Wichita Falls, TX.

Just purchased a 1982 Bronco earlier this afternoon for a project truck. It runs, although a little rough... he said it has been sitting for a while so I imagine the carb is gummed up some, also I noticed a spark plug wire looked like it had been chewed on by a mouse or something...

I think it doesn't shift into 3rd gear (Auto trans) correctly, and I am HOPING that is from sitting or maybe after a fluid change it will help.

One of the front plastic knobs for the hub is broken off, can you replace those??

Body is solid, but it needs some interior work, electrical (lights don't work, fan for AC heater doesn't work), drivers side window is busted out, and rear window wont roll up even though you hear the motor running.... but thats why it is a PROJECT truck.. LOL

Any help is appreciated... I would like to identify the motor, he said it was a 351. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions

Here is a pic from the internet ad that I got it from. I haven't had a chance to take any of my own yet.

bronco1.jpg

bronco2.jpg

Rednek

Reaction score
wow man you got a lot of work ahead of you.

idk what to say about your tranny i got a bud with a blazer that did that and he had to redbuild the tranny.

you should replace all them hoses, spark plug wires, etc.

your ac problem might be a expensive problem. i see your in texas with me so a/c is very important. if your lucky and i mean very lucky the hoses and a/c compresser are still good and all you need is a freon charge ($80) if your compressor is out that'll be around $600, hoses are like $100

about that hub locker. I think you can get a new one. take off the metal deal that surrounds it and get some metal ones at the local autozone.

the rear window should be easy to do. i just got my truck a couple months ago (in pic) it had the same problem with windows on doors. my 83 bronco did the same. its simple stripped gears. take off the panels and you will need a new rod that goes from the motor gearing to the bottom of the window ($25)

about the motor. it would make tons of sence if it was a 5.8L 351windsor.

broncos came stock with two engines. the 5.0L 302ci and the 5.8L 351ci windsor the 351 gets shit gas milage but its a bronco for fun who gives a rats ass.

lights are prolly just blown bulbs. at autozone the bulb is the whole globe and all you can take it off by the front by taking off just a couple screws. amazingly enough the bronco wiring system is great. my 83 still has origional wires.

sorry about the grammar i knew it would be a long message so i didnt worry about it.

Hope this helps man. good luck

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. I do have a lot of work ahead of me, I know... but I think I failed to mention that I picked this little gem up for only $300. $-)

The truck has the 351 M engine. 2bbl carb.

I've been out pretty much all day today working on little things like the fluids.

The headlights started working... I guess the switch was just rusty or something. I'm not worried about the A/C compressor... right now it doesn't even have a belt running to it.

I attempted to 'fix' the back window... its fixed now... I shattered it on accident :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The radiator is clogged.. I've been trying to flush it out or get it out and see if I can work some of the sediments out of it, but I have had no luck in getting the oil lines loose from it.

I found out today about the solenoid on the passenger fender for the battery. If it ain't working right, nothing works!

Lots of loose vacuum hoses, have to figure out where they go.

I'll get it all up and running to where it is road worthy again eventually... it's just gonna take some time, elbow grease, cussin, bleedin, and money... :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Once its running good I'll focus on the cosmetics such as the interior and such.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Welcome to BroncoZone !

It sounds like you have a lot of things going on there... none of them insurmountable, like you said, they just take time and money.

When one works on a 26 year old truck, he finds that they present problems that new ones do not, such as rusted and corroded connections. Sometimes a can of CRC contact cleaner, and gallons of PB blaster can be your best friend. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It seems that you know that you know your way around, and after you give her a tuneup, and clean out the carb, let us know if you have any issues.

Good luck and have fun!

joe

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
It seems that you know that you know your way around...
Well... I know a little bit, would like to know a lot more. But thats why I am here asking a lot of questions.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I can't wait to get it runnin' good and take it for a spin.

Rednek

Reaction score
heh go to autozone and ask for a "fuel filter removal kit" it is like either a plastic deal or metal it slips underneath the hose end and pushes up the prongs so they dont catch its like 5 dollars. it works on ac hoses fuel hoses and such

good luck and nice job on what youve done so far.

Rednek

Reaction score
I suggest you go to autozone and get a blue book that is titled

"Ford Pick-Ups & Bronco 1980-thru 1996

ask for the "Haynes Books"

Whatta great book for any bronco owner! get one they are $20 but they are dedenatly worth it

Rednek

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Here is another pic

05-25-08_1002.jpg

Rednek

Reaction score
$300 and it runs. whatta deal. it does need some work but jeez. whatta steal. it actually doesnt look too bad either

Rednek

Reaction score
the bars on the roof.... thats strange. they are bolted together.... the roof and the top.....

hmmmmm strangeee... the paint isnt too bad...

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
yeah... someone put a luggage rack on it... those will be removed and holes patched.

muddridder

Reaction score
Nice Bronco .......Don't try and do it all at one time..you will go crazy...make yourself a list and check things off as you get them done.Broncos are great because alot of the parts can be switched from one to another and the parts are easy to find.

Everyone here is real helpfull....so welcome to the WONDERFULL WORLD OF BRONCO OWNERSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Nope.. not running strong yet.

I haven't got a lot of spare time or spare money right now... so it will definitely be a slow process for a while. Just doing little stuff right now. Got a Chiltons maunal from the auto parts store, going to read it and see if I can figure out some of these loose wires and vacuum hoses - I know those can cause problems on the performance and be an easy fix once you find it...

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Matt V, congrats on getting the project Bronco, and welcome to Bronco Zone!!! The Haynes or Chilton repair manual will be a big help in fixing alot of the things on your ride. Chekc out the How-To & Tech Articles forum, and look up the link to "Miesk5's Homepage", then save it in your favorites. IT's got links to everything about Broncos, from fixing the rear window to ID'ing your engine, tranny, axles, etc. If you search the forums here, be sure to use " marks in front of and after your words, like "351W carb". If you need any help with the forums, let one of us moderators know and we'll be glad to help. Randy JSM84

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Finally found the calibration code on the engine, and of course, the Chiltons manual didn't list it. But I found the 10

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to really have to look into the electrical ignition and the fuel system too.

Drove it to a barn up the road, and it seemed like it was missing on a cylinder, but when you came to an idle it was running ok (ok being relative to the way it was running while at speed) Could that be a distributor cap, rotor, vac. advance... ignition module? Coil?

Burning pretty rich - fumes are horrible. Started smoking some after I timed it too... I would love to check the timing again, but I already took the timing light back to the auto shop (at the school I work at).

aren't project cars great?? LOL

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Maybe I should change this to 'The Bronco that may never be...'

I am having a hard time getting it Titled into my name because the Title showed 2 liens, I didn't realize it was 2 of them when I bought it and I got 1 lien release, now I can't get the 2nd for 2 reasons. 1st, the car lot that held the lien isn't in business anymore (lien was over 10 years old) and 2nd is that the guy I got it from never titled it into his name (which I found out is a crime... something called an 'open title' because he never paid taxes on it...)

now I'm stuck with it. I've contacted the guy I bought it from, and he said he didn't realize that it was a crime and he said he is going to try to get in contact with the previous owners to see what can be done....

Until then, all work has pretty much halted on it. Don't want to invest money into something that may be yanked out from under me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj