My 78

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Now I’m starting the crane mount in the bed of the 78, have one in the 79 and for us older folk it’s well worth it to install one. Here’s the link to the crane and to the winch I will add to the crane.

Why I’ve had multiple shoulder surgeries, back surgeries, knee surgeries carry so much shrapnel I set the metal detectors off at the courthouse. Oohra!!

the crane is simple, it folds up nice and compact and will hide nicely over the wheel well. Will extend well past the tailgate, and the hydraulic lift is nice. The winch can operate manually or with the electric motor, it will be wired to a fuse cutoff switch with a relay to prevent any parasitic draw. Will add some pictures later today.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now I’m starting the crane mount in the bed of the 78, have one in the 79 and for us older folk it’s well worth it to install one. Here’s the link to the crane and to the winch I will add to the crane.

Why I’ve had multiple shoulder surgeries, back surgeries, knee surgeries carry so much shrapnel I set the metal detectors off at the courthouse. Oohra!!

the crane is simple, it folds up nice and compact and will hide nicely over the wheel well. Will extend well past the tailgate, and the hydraulic lift is nice. The winch can operate manually or with the electric motor, it will be wired to a fuse cutoff switch with a relay to prevent any parasitic draw. Will add some pictures later today.
Sounds like you may have went on vacation in Viet Nam. I have one of the posters hear some place.WELCOME BACK HOME MIKE AND THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

the crane is simple, it folds up nice and compact and will hide nicely over the wheel well. Will extend well past the tailgate, and the hydraulic lift is nice. The winch can operate manually or with the electric motor, it will be wired to a fuse cutoff switch with a relay to prevent any parasitic draw. Will add some pictures later t

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Have you used any of Northern electric winches? I bought 2 of them and they were not any good. One pulled my truck anou a foot and quit. I returned it and they sent another one. It would NOT lift a cab off of a truck but about 6 inches and quit. I gave it away. Make sure you try it out. Instead of waiting when you need it. I have what they call a Red Devile winch. They have been used in the mines for years and really tough and dependable. A new one (manual winch) will run a little over $300--I found out the hard way after I rebuilt mine. It almost cost me what a new one is and they sale FLOATING STEEL CABLE. I think they call it BLUE STEEL and its suppose to be stronger the regular steel. I wouldn,t trade it for a farm in Georgia. Really good tough winch. Made in Ohio with USA made parts.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Have the crane mounted and the winch on the crane. Will make some mods later for the pulley system. Have not done the wiring, but have the circuit to the switch pulled and connected just need to pull from the winch to the switch have a good ground at the crane. Have some pictures it doesn’t collapse as completely because I mounted the winch with bolts. It does extend nicely past the tailgate. Will be very helpful picking up wild game. Have lots of pigs to get. Trust me a 100 lbs of floppy dead weight is tough to on your back especially at my age.

Attachments

• B0F78EF9-4F17-46D5-92D1-7052C582ED87.jpeg
    B0F78EF9-4F17-46D5-92D1-7052C582ED87.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 4
  • E11056D5-D265-4892-8C84-F597B67F72BF.jpeg
    E11056D5-D265-4892-8C84-F597B67F72BF.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DF6FF325-E68F-4BA6-94FD-C076D24C178B.jpeg
    DF6FF325-E68F-4BA6-94FD-C076D24C178B.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 4
  • F9A20408-9F5E-4BF8-92C4-6EA3B65DA90F.jpeg
    F9A20408-9F5E-4BF8-92C4-6EA3B65DA90F.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 4

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Have the crane mounted and the winch on the crane. Will make some mods later for the pulley system. Have not done the wiring, but have the circuit to the switch pulled and connected just need to pull from the winch to the switch have a good ground at the crane. Have some pictures it doesn’t collapse as completely because I mounted the winch with bolts. It does extend nicely past the tailgate. Will be very helpful picking up wild game. Have lots of pigs to get. Trust me a 100 lbs of floppy dead weight is tough to on your back especially at my age.
I see you have a fan to keep you cool . While you are working. I want to get one of those on a stand. The industrial type. They are strong and **** hard. Used one in the plant.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Added some work backup lights today too. Cutout some brackets and welded them to the receiver. Then mounted some LED work /backup lights, put them on a separate fuse link and relay so they can be used independently of anything else and still zero parasitic draw. Have gotten to where I like installing electrical service relays whole lot better than just a straight fused switched links.

Attachments

• B5FFD049-96F2-48BE-AD87-F59D826EF86C.jpeg
    B5FFD049-96F2-48BE-AD87-F59D826EF86C.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 92ACADA4-46B0-4D49-9783-0FA41754F7CD.jpeg
    92ACADA4-46B0-4D49-9783-0FA41754F7CD.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Here is why I have a crane with a winch installed in the back of my Bronco’s. This pig weighed 520lbs. That is a 35-12.50 hanging on the spare tire carrier.

C824E41B-1189-49B4-92EA-E548F5716B56.jpeg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Here is why I have a crane with a winch installed in the back of my Bronco’s. This pig weighed 520lbs. That is a 35-12.50 hanging on the spare tire carrier.

View attachment 28448
Isn,t that a wild hog? I saw a big one in Seiverville,Tn one time in a gas station. The guy told me he had his little son with him deer hunting and it came around the hill and jumped on hi,. It was red in color and its throat looked as big as a horses throat.That,s a big hog their you have.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
We took this one way off road this afternoon. 4wheel drive works great the half turn mile marker hubs are kind of nice. It definitely needs new shocks the thrush mufflers have got to go. Hit the first mud hole kind of easy and in two wheel drive, the next one was bigger slip it into 4 high eased through no worries but it did slide about half way through. Needs bigger tires but was able to climb over downed trees. Let it sling some mud on the way out. Had to go in and get my nephews deer stand, he had to work so we did it for him. Man that was fun.

Zeus78

Reaction score
Hey Nota, how is your tire carrier handling the 35" tire? Did you add some reinforcements?

I have square tube bumbers, so I'm adding an inverted piece of angle iron as a foot. It will allow the rear bumper to take some of the weight.
I'm also mounting a hi lift jack to the carrier and it will also be used to take some of the weight as it will rest on the bumper too.
I was very hesitant to put a 35" tire on the carrier, then bounce around the trails with no additional support, but it looks like it's working just fine for you.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Thinking of using this insulation product on the floor and side panels of the 78. Then cover it with a rubber flooring. A spray adhesive should work pretty well for adhering to the bedliner. Anyone use this product before? Thinking it will be a good sound deadening and eliminate heat rising through the floor. Any ideas of what else can be added for sound deadening?

7136Dhzp5jL._AC_SY355_.jpg
I’m

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thinking of using this insulation product on the floor and side panels of the 78. Then cover it with a rubber flooring. A spray adhesive should work pretty well for adhering to the bedliner. Anyone use this product before? Thinking it will be a good sound deadening and eliminate heat rising through the floor. Any ideas of what else can be added for sound deadening?

View attachment 28573
I’m
Hey Nota, is the gauge and speedometer working good for you?

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Oh yes the speedo is great the relay I had for the fuel gauge quit on me, the fuel gauge is good the relay is out. Have some more just haven’t taken the time to mess with it. The speedo reads perfect

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Oh yes the speedo is great the relay I had for the fuel gauge quit on me, the fuel gauge is good the relay is out. Have some more just haven’t taken the time to mess with it. The speedo reads perfect
Well I am glad to hear that and be of some help.

OX1

Reaction score

View attachment 28573
I’m

I recently used this on the entire floor, including rear cargo area (needed 3 of them). Probably not as good as what you are looking at, but good enough for me. One thing I like about it is it has adhesive on the opposite side of foil already. Made it easy to put down. Now ever removing it, might be a nightmare, but not sure I will ever need to. Cut down on the noise quite a bit.

I ripped off the carpet insulation from the old carpet and glued that to the side panels in rear seat/cargo area. So entire thing was about $100.

20210214_123930.jpg

20210820_161836.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke