modifications???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjc

Reaction score
I have a 1972 bronco and want to install a 351 engine, what modifications might I have to make?

Yardape

Reaction score
Thats rather vague. How much research have you done? Do as much reading as you can find on the subject, on this site, google it. Anywhere else you can think of and then Your ready to go. Then ask your questions, not that they wont get answered now but at least you will know what everyone talking about.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"....what modifications might I have to make?"

Mainly to your wallet... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yah.., lay a 'lil info. on us....age., experience., location., what's in it now...?

Duffs is country central...Wildhorses is on left coast, etc.

The more info.., the better the help.... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
T

tjc

Reaction score
its a 1972 Bronco and it has a 302 and i want to put a 351 in it. I need to know if i have to move the motor mounts. i am in kansas city. i am learning as i go.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
" I need to know if i have to move the motor mounts."

99.9% sure that answer is "no"

"i am in kansas city"

You should contact JamesDuff.com they're in Knoxville. (Ten.) They're big on 351's in EBr's B)

Suzy would be happy to help you.

"i am learning as i go."

As did we all... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :rolleyes:

walkercreekbronco

Reaction score
I just did my 351W swap a few months ago.

Like the others said, go through the catalogs. I knew going into this I would need the alternator/power steering brackets. (These will allow you to use original belts, alternator, etc.) I also knew I'd need the 351W conversion oilpan.

Here's what I learned the hard way:

Don't even attempt this without a 2" body lift. Every clearance issue I had (throttle linkage on valve cover, headers on firewall, intake manifold on firewall, valve cover against power brake booster, etc.) was easily fixed once I gave in and installed a body lift. I know this has been done without body lifts, but I'd highly recommend installing the body lift first.

Many 351Ws do not have the threaded hole in the block for the clutch linkage. Wild Horses has a quick fix for this, but you have to ask for it. It's not in their paper catalog.

The harmonic balancer on almost all 351W is a 4-bolt. You will need to either use your 3 bolt from your 302, or buy a new one. (The Bronco suppliers have balancers with the timing marks for both 351W and 302). Just double check the imbalance--should be 28oz.

Install a 302 water pump on your 351W (it'll fit). Also move your timing pointer from your 302 to your 351W. I also moved my thermostat housing from the 302 to the 351W.

While you have your 302 out, replace/shorten all the bolts sticking through the firewall around the driver's side head. I even had to remove a bolt and replace it with a button head cap ***** to get enough clearance between the head and firewall.

I have a proflow hood, so I didn't have to worry about any clearance issues there, but you might want to measure there.

Sorry this is so long, but I wish I'd have known all of this going into the project.

bronco410w

Reaction score
302 /351w.... basicly same exact motor... only diff. is that the 351w has a taller deck hight... other then that there the same.... same bore size and block lenght! motor mounts should be the same also!

due to the taller deck on the 351w , a 302 intake will NOT fit... the 351w intake is wider! other then that everything else should be campatible!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23