Mini spool or full spool what better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
hey guys me and my friend are arguing about which is better a mini spool or a full spool i myself have a ful spool i was wounderin which is better and what is really the diffrence.... :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yardape

Reaction score
I think the mini spool is the one you can put in by just removing the spider gears and the side gears, then replacing them with the mini spool, inside your existing carrier. Whereas the full spool replaces your carrier. The mini spool is better for ease of installation but the full spool is by far stronger

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I'd never run a mini spool after watching my buddy with 33's busted his.

What a joke! I've never heard bad comments about full spools excpet having to re set up the rign and pinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I totally agree with the others that a full spool is definitely better than a mini. Only reason to use a mini is they're cheaper, but they can break. I ran a mini in the rear Ford 9", and a full spool in the front D44 TTB before I swapped to 1-ton axles. Those original axles are now under another Bronco, and will take some getting used to for the new driver. The mini was $30, and the front full was $90. Much cheaper than a $500 locker, but less streetable and can be harder to turn if the tires have alot of grip. I know several dudes running mini's in the rear with no problems, except for one broken one last week. Full spools will be harder on axleshafts, if you push them to the max. JSM84

ocalabronco

Reaction score
full spools rule. the problem with mini spools is their tendency to chunk up and also break the centering pin.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
a full spool in the D44 TTB? Wouldn't that make it imposssible to turn on anything but ice or sand? Wouldnt that almost assure you of snapping u joints?

OP
OP
Justbust1n

Justbust1n

Reaction score
a full spool in the D44 TTB? Wouldn't that make it imposssible to turn on anything but ice or sand? Wouldnt that almost assure you of snapping u joints?
in the front yeah it would be pretty hard to steer on ice or snow i wouldnt even take it out but i have one in the back so it just gets goosie sometimes in the mud i dont think it would deffinatly beak u joints just real ******* them

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You would think so, since both sides are locked at all times. In reality, the full spool works fine in dirt, gravel, anything that allows the tires to slip or spin before binding up. IF you get in a tight spot where you suddenly change traction, like one side spinning then it grabs, you can break a u-joint or axleshaft. But I think that goes the same with any type of locker, if it delivers equal power to both sides. IF you ever get into a spot where you need to turn sharp or might have too much traction, you can switch to 2WD or unlock one or both hubs. JSM84

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
ahh, I see. wouldnt really want to use 4wd for some patches of snow then eh? Not a big deal, I have to try pretty hard to get my bronco stuck to the point I need 4wd.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj