Mechanic needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big russ

Reaction score
I just got a mint 1986 fullsize bronco and I love it. I loved it so much I just spend 4000 on a 6 in ProComp suspension lift, ProComp Wheels with 36inch ProComp mud terrains and a dual shock steering stabalizer. Then added a new fuel injected 302 H.O. roller lifter engine with staight dual exhaust. other than that its completely factory. Came stock with a three speed automatic tranny/w Overdrive. But since the lift I can only run in Drive. Wich it does fine on the highway but it eats the **** out of some gas and I can barely spin the tires in gravel. Theres alot of formulas for figuring gear ratios but I trust someone who's dealt with it before. I'm thinking about 456's right now. I want alot of low end power but still run 95 on the highway. I also am unsure about exactly what kinda front end and rear end I have. I'm currently offshore so I cant look for tags on it. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks

Big Russ

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Russ,

FWIW, I chose a set pf 4.56's whan I ran 36" Ground Hawgs and on a later truck used 4.88's w/38.5's. Both trucks ran w/a C-6 & NP205. I was happy with gear choices for both tire sizes.

I just got a mint 1986 fullsize bronco and I love it. I loved it so much I just spend 4000 on a 6 in ProComp suspension lift, ProComp Wheels with 36inch ProComp mud terrains and a dual shock steering stabalizer. Then added a new fuel injected 302 H.O. roller lifter engine with staight dual exhaust. other than that its completely factory. Came stock with a three speed automatic tranny/w Overdrive. But since the lift I can only run in Drive. Wich it does fine on the highway but it eats the **** out of some gas and I can barely spin the tires in gravel. Theres alot of formulas for figuring gear ratios but I trust someone who's dealt with it before. I'm thinking about 456's right now. I want alot of low end power but still run 95 on the highway. I also am unsure about exactly what kinda front end and rear end I have. I'm currently offshore so I cant look for tags on it. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks
Big Russ

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would also suggest 4.56:1 gears for 35/36" tires, but I'd think twice about driving over 70 mph with 6" lift kit and big tires. Your stock ratio is likely to be either 3.55 or 3.08 (3.50 or 3.00 if you have the Ford 9" rear, since 1986 was the last year for that axle on the Bronco). If someone can check the axle code on the driver's door jamb sticker, that will also give your ratio. Code H9 is the Ford 8.8". 3.55:1 gears with factory limited slip (most common). JSM84

OP
OP
B

big russ

Reaction score
I would also suggest 4.56:1 gears for 35/36" tires, but I'd think twice about driving over 70 mph with 6" lift kit and big tires. Your stock ratio is likely to be either 3.55 or 3.08 (3.50 or 3.00 if you have the Ford 9" rear, since 1986 was the last year for that axle on the Bronco). If someone can check the axle code on the driver's door jamb sticker, that will also give your ratio. Code H9 is the Ford 8.8". 3.55:1 gears with factory limited slip (most common). JSM84

Thanks alot for the info. Though I actually ran it about 90 all the way from ft. sumtner tx. to san antonio. Its actually really tight and handles great. Though I certainly know what you mean with the quick unforgiving characteristics of the short wheelbase. I cant wait to get home so I can post some of my pics on here. Its all original still except for what I already mentioned and unbelievably beautiful. Thanks again!

Big Russ

Blue beast

Reaction score
Be sure to actually measure the tires you plan on running it may say 35" on the sidewall but go ahead and measure it, I guess they are like 2x4

and they trim some off to save money. I have seen 33 that are31 1/2 inch and 32 1/4. Before you choose gearing based on sidewall measurements

actually measure the tires!!

OP
OP
B

big russ

Reaction score
Be sure to actually measure the tires you plan on running it may say 35" on the sidewall but go ahead and measure it, I guess they are like 2x4and they trim some off to save money. I have seen 33 that are31 1/2 inch and 32 1/4. Before you choose gearing based on sidewall measurements

actually measure the tires!!

Thanks, your absolutely right. Except mine are the exact opposite. They are suppose to be 35x12.50 but actually measure 36". They're ProComp Mud terrains and definately was'nt cheated on the size. Thanks for the info.

Russell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23