Making Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
im looking for stuff to do on my truck. right now i have a 3 inch lift on 33s, flowmaster exhaust, tinted windows, 10k pound hitch, offroad lights, new headunit and sub, billet grille. any thing i could do to make it more reliable and run cooler? i would like to be able to tow my boat with my windows up and ac on which i cant really do right now because she gets vapor locked. it has a 351w and its a 94. i also just changed my spark plugs and distributer cap and rotor

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would consider doing aome routine maintenance first, like a coolant flush, new thermostat, etc. I like to clean out the radiator and any coolers up front at least once a year, to get rid of all of the grass seeds, mud, dirt, etc. that can clog the radiator. Then check around for any vacuum leaks, change fluids, etc. If you have an E40D auto tranny, adding an extra cooler helps a bunch for towing and keeping the tranny cool. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Rebuild the motor or at least a tune-up

I can't use my truck to tow..it's a dog. And I run the A/C as well now that I have tinted windows (15% which helps with the heat)

But at least a tune-up is in order.

wileec

Reaction score
Your 351 should be able to tow a boat no issues. I tow a large pop up, #3500, with my 302 and a manual with no vapor issues. And with the better gearing it does just fine except on our longest steepest hills in CO. If you are getting vapor lock, do you know when the fuel pump and all of the filtering was last changed? Bad pressur will cause what seems like vaporlock.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Your 351 should be able to tow a boat no issues. I tow a large pop up, #3500, with my 302 and a manual with no vapor issues. And with the better gearing it does just fine except on our longest steepest hills in CO. If you are getting vapor lock, do you know when the fuel pump and all of the filtering was last changed? Bad pressur will cause what seems like vaporlock.
I wish mine was like that..best I can do is 35mph up through the pass comming from silverthorn.. towing a trailer - Never done it, never will!!

I forgot about the fuel filter. I changed mine last december, and it was nasty. A muddy color kept comming out of the one end. fairly clear out the other... it's one peice that often goes unchanged (and I can see why, it was a PITA!)

andre

Reaction score
here this may help check alt output when all on

here why

have a 1990 ford 250 plow truck that ad no power and vapor lock but no

is was alt to low w acc on just upgraded to two alt in my case

check it out may be you need more amp

may no be the promb but worth to check it out

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
all my fluids and filters were done within the last 3 months but ill keep everything you guys have said in mind

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
also i have a trans cooler and it tows the boat no problem im sure i could tow a boat 4 times the size i just dont wanna run the a/c cause i no it will like vapor lock

wileec

Reaction score
I still go with the fuel pump. Could also be electrical as andra said. a bad alt or battery combinded with turning onn AC reduces power to the pump and vapor lock.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj