Lowered Bronco 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ron,

after spending more time than I'd like to admit looking around online I see that there are a few BellTech kits for Excursions & SuperDuty's but everything offered is really just an airbag kit designed to work with a modified chip & the factory compressor to drop the truck. The root of the problem here is that it's just a plain bitch to slam a 4x4. The basic Ford design just doesn't take well to this. The Lincolns do better since they have a factory air-suspension to begin with & that's just easier to **** with. To slam a Bronco will really require some fabrication & engineering and truth be told that's probably better done by a professional shop that's both done it before & willing to accept the liability for the mods. A 2" drop is doable & like several guys have mentioned you should be able to do it by putting in shorter front coils & either dropping the rear shackles or removing leafs. Quite honestly that's that. If you want a 2" drop then replace the coils & pull a leaf or two or install dropped shackles & be done with it. Beyond that you get into some significant engineering.

If you want a slammed SUV the Bronco is just a bad choice. A 2WD Explorer or Chevy will be the way to go. If there were a reasonable or easy way to do it there would be kits. The fact that *nobody* offers a kit should be your first clue that there are some pretty difficult issues to resolve.

Last edited by a moderator:

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
Ok Ladies and gentilemen, I know alot of you are gonna say "WHAT!!!", but I want to lower my 96 Bronco 4x4. I can't find anything in a kit to do this. I'm only looking about 2-3" front and back. I know I may have to make some parts myself. Any sugestions?
what are you retarted? thats a sin to do to a Bronco!

Bill Jr

Reaction score
he must be a ford hater. how can someone take a beautiful piece of art and take a knife to it and destroy it... shame shame shame. Bill

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Oh for goodness sake. Nobody's heard from the poor guy in more than 2 months. Are you NOT satisfied he's been chased away ? It's his truck to do what he wants with. While I may not *personally* like what he's trying to achieve that doesn't mean I'm going to publically deride his choices and slam the guy. If you can't get on-board with it then don't. I told him myself I didn't much like the idea & THEN I gave him the best advise I was able to. If you're unwilling to go that far it's cool, but why flame the guy ? A little tolerance goes a LONG way.

martincityventures

Reaction score
Ok Ladies and gentilemen, I know alot of you are gonna say "WHAT!!!", but I want to lower my 96 Bronco 4x4. I can't find anything in a kit to do this. I'm only looking about 2-3" front and back. I know I may have to make some parts myself.

Any sugestions?
Ever get any useful info? I want to lower mine but for different reasons. My wife n I are in our 60’s, I’m 5’4 and my wife is 4’10. We love our beast but need it to be easier to get into.

I was going to try having a shop put shorter front springs n remove a leaf spring or two in yhe back. Our beast is pretty much a pavement princess anyway. We drive in lots of snow living in nw Montana n I constantly am pulling people out of ditches but we don’t off road anymore.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo martincityventures,
Welcome!
No slammed factory Lightning Broncos were built for us
However;
78-79 Lowered suspension links went though 70 gazillion iterations. by Ox1 @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/fullsize-of-the-year-05-foty.54154/page-8#post-729341

"pulled the 3rd leaf from the bottom out of my leaf springs to drop the back down 1.5 inches on mine-rides great and still has good weight capacity." by sgant @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/lowering-shackles.204648/#post-2806037

LOWERING SPRINGS @
"
Just got off the phone with our spring vendor. Had a couple of questions so I threw this query in.

He says that cutting and rebending with the addition of heat is no problem, so long as you stress-relieve the spring afterward (to remove residual stresses introduced in the bending process).

He recommended putting them in the oven on "broil," after bending, or lightly going back over the whole spring with a torch to raise it's temperature.
He also told me that the rate would likely decrease a little, as springs are stress relieved before they leave the factory, and any additional relief weakens them a little.
So this may not be suitable for your application in the end." by Ralphenstein

Lowering bronco w/ 2wd springs @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/lowering-bronco-w-2wd-springs.102388/#post-1361006

Lowering @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/lowering-bronco-w-2wd-springs.102388/#post-1361006

Lightning Bronco 2 wd article part 1
Source: by Todd K at Sport Truck at austin.rr.com/cherico via web.archive
Part 2

Also; Richard Nesbitt, 1978 Bronco Designer; "Ford Bronco Lightning Concepts created by Nesbitt for Truck Trend magazine. Styling feature authored and illustrated by Nesbitt..." Click Previous & next for more images/info
Source: by **** Nesbitt at coroflot.com

& as McQueen once said;
Well, you know, because Thunder always comes after... Lightning!

chrlsful

Reaction score
that's right, use air bags'n get a varable hight at a press ofa button. Today - low; tomorrow a ton + 1/4 of weight and still travel w/o problems. Lower to get in; raise to drive, etc...

Others use a reconfigured spring (I removed the 2 inch lift block & got leafs w/that in the spring itself, safer as U can loose a block).

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Ok Ladies and gentilemen, I know alot of you are gonna say "WHAT!!!", but I want to lower my 96 Bronco 4x4. I can't find anything in a kit to do this. I'm only looking about 2-3" front and back. I know I may have to make some parts myself.

Any sugestions?
How about shorter springs and take a couple of leafs out or if lowering you want. To get in and out easier. How about lowering the steps or running boards to get in>

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar