Low / High Beam Lights Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertBronco

Reaction score
I've found this on several pre-90's Ford's ... either the low or the high beam on one headlight will not come on... bulb is good, exposed wires look good, foot switch is good... before you go pulling apart every harness and chasing too many wires ... it's somewhat common for the wire joint in the left front corner wire bundle (just in front and below of the washer fluid/coolant overflow tank) to come undone. This connection is internal to the plastic protective sleeve/electrical tape of the wire bundle in that area. Very simple repair. Unhook the battery, and unplug the connection on the back of both headlight filaments (to avoid possible damage to them while soldering). Undo the bolt(s) holding the fuild reservoir in place and unplug the low washer fluid electrical connection (any fluid in the tank will not come out). Undo the plastic sleeve/electrical tape, and find the red wire with a 'faint' black streak on it. There should be 3 red wires of different gauges. It will most likely have a second wire joined in with it from the rt headlight. You can find the right one by pulling gently on the wire from the rt headlight connector to see which on the left side moves. Repair with a simple soldering, retape and reassemble the removed/unhooked parts. If that doesn't work, the second most problem is usually the hi/lo beam foot switch in the floor of the driver's side. While you have the two headlight connectors unplugged, it's a good time to put some silicone **** on them to keep out dust and corrosion as well. Enjoy!

remercroft

Reaction score
I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY LIGHTS. MINE COME ON BUT AFTER ABOUT TEN OR SO MINUTES THEY WILL CUT OFF AND COME BACK ON IN A FEW SECONDS. THEY WILL CONTINUALLY DO THIS. THE PLASTIC PLUG IN THE REAR OF THE BULB IS A LITTLE LOOSE. I HOPE THIS IS THE PROBLEM BUT SEEINGS HOW BOTH CUT OFF AT THE SAME TIME I THINK THE PROBLEM IS SOMETHING ELSE. IF YOU HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION TO YOURS I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR IT, IT COULD HELP ME. ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHERE TO MOUNT AN AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR TELL ME. I HAD IT IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR BUT IT RESTRICTED THE AIR FLOW AND CAUSED IT TO RUN HOT. SO I'M LOOKING FOR A SECONDARY PLACE TO MOUNT IT. BY THE WAY I HAVE A 1976 BRONCO IF IT HELPS. THANKS.

stinger

Reaction score
I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY LIGHTS. MINE COME ON BUT AFTER ABOUT TEN OR SO MINUTES THEY WILL CUT OFF AND COME BACK ON IN A FEW SECONDS. THEY WILL CONTINUALLY DO THIS. THE PLASTIC PLUG IN THE REAR OF THE BULB IS A LITTLE LOOSE. I HOPE THIS IS THE PROBLEM BUT SEEINGS HOW BOTH CUT OFF AT THE SAME TIME I THINK THE PROBLEM IS SOMETHING ELSE. IF YOU HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION TO YOURS I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR IT, IT COULD HELP ME. ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHERE TO MOUNT AN AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR TELL ME. I HAD IT IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR BUT IT RESTRICTED THE AIR FLOW AND CAUSED IT TO RUN HOT. SO I'M LOOKING FOR A SECONDARY PLACE TO MOUNT IT. BY THE WAY I HAVE A 1976 BRONCO IF IT HELPS. THANKS.
i had that prob with my 85 had a lose wire in the headlight switch connector. first time mine went crazy was at 75 mph on the interstate in the middle of a curve

fordman

Reaction score
seen lots of these .the headlamp switch has a self resetting circuit breaker inside that when it gets old cuts out at too low of an amperage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke