Locking in the hubs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockNBronco96

Reaction score
Good Morning fellow Zoners,

Just had my auto lockers switched out my premium WARN manual hubs, hope I went the correct way as compared with the Mile brand.

All of my years of 4 wheel drives I've had auto hubs, never any problems, but had to switch to manual on my 96 Bronco due to parts availability or lack there of. I've grown use to just reaching down and putting her in 4 wheel when needed and back out when not. Now I have questions about said 4 wheel with the manuals. So here goes...

1 Can I lock the hubs in and not put it in 4 wheel at the transfer case without causing damage to anything, ie, front end or T case? And is it okay to go in and out at the T case without unlocking the hubs?

2 If I don't lock the hubs in and put it in 4 wheel, will that cause damage to anything, ie, front end or T case?

3 Will the 4 wheel kick in without the hubs locked in?

4 When do those who actually get out and hunt, as compared with those who just go out and play, usually lock the hubs? Players can respond to this as well but since this is my hunting toy, I thought I would go that route.

5 I would usually put her in 4 wheel hi and low when I would head out for a hike just to keep everything lubricated, something I was told to do over 30 years ago, is that still needed or recommended? Now that I have to get out of the vehicle lock the hubs it's sooo much more work... I know I can solve this problem easily enough by drinking more beer, thus more pit stops.

Thanks in advance for any feed back?

Doug

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Doug,
1 Can I lock the hubs in and not put it in 4 wheel at the transfer case without causing damage to anything, ie, front end or T case? And is it okay to go in and out at the T case without unlocking the hubs?
Yes. We engage our Warn manual locking hubs monthly to ensure lubrication
2 If I don't lock the hubs in and put it in 4 wheel, will that cause damage to anything, ie, front end or T case?
It will cause wear in Dana 44, etc.

You will need to shift the transfer case after locking hubs.

4 When do those who actually get out and hunt, as compared with those who just go out and play, usually lock the hubs? Players can respond to this as well but since this is my hunting toy, I thought I would go that route.

5 I would usually put her in 4 wheel hi and low when I would head out for a hike just to keep everything lubricated, something I was told to do over 30 years ago, is that still needed or recommended? Now that I have to get out of the vehicle lock the hubs it's sooo much more work... I know I can solve this problem easily enough by drinking more beer, thus more pit stops.

for increased traction. The 4L position provides four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear axles when the above average power is required at reduced speeds. In the N (neutral) position, there is no power delivered to either axle. When the transfer case is in the N (Neutral) position, the engine and transmission are disconnected from the rest of the driveline. Therefore, the vehicle is free to roll even if the automatic transmission is in P (Park) or the manual transmission is in gear. RWARNING Do not leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer case in the N (Neutral) position. Always set the parking brake fully and turn off the ignition when leaving the vehicle

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, you can lock them in and leave them. Drive around in 2 wheel drive, BUT it will usually feel funny, as the hubs are pushing the D44 and spinning the front driveshaft there will be new noises and vibrations.

going off road in any fashion I lock them in before I start. Don't want to try and find the hub after you are stuck in a mud hole or river, or even tall grass/brush can be a pain to navigate while reaching your hubs.

For me I used to lock them in at first snow storm and would not be unlocked until spring unless a road trip or something else similar came up.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I agree, you can lock them in and leave them. Drive around in 2 wheel drive, BUT it will usually feel funny, as the hubs are pushing the D44 and spinning the front driveshaft there will be new noises and vibrations.

going off road in any fashion I lock them in before I start. Don't want to try and find the hub after you are stuck in a mud hole or river, or even tall grass/brush can be a pain to navigate while reaching your hubs.

For me I used to lock them in at first snow storm and would not be unlocked until spring unless a road trip or something else similar came up.
I did the same thing Tiha. Will do it again when I get it back on the road. I remeber a couple of times .Had the hubs in . On slick road and coming down this hill with my niece. Doing about 40 at the bottom and she decided to go side ways. I told her to just let off the gas,put it in 4 wheel and give the gas--she straighted up every time. Now the Dodge--doesn,t like slick roads and it is full time. Riding it on slick roads is like playing with a cocked gun.Unpredictable, I had a 79 Chevrolet Caprice with posi and it was alot better on slick roads--miss that ole gal too.

OP
OP
R

RockNBronco96

Reaction score
Yo Doug,
Yes. We engage our Warn manual locking hubs monthly to ensure lubrication
It will cause wear in Dana 44, etc.

You will need to shift the transfer case after locking hubs.

for increased traction. The 4L position provides four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear axles when the above average power is required at reduced speeds. In the N (neutral) position, there is no power delivered to either axle. When the transfer case is in the N (Neutral) position, the engine and transmission are disconnected from the rest of the driveline. Therefore, the vehicle is free to roll even if the automatic transmission is in P (Park) or the manual transmission is in gear. RWARNING Do not leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer case in the N (Neutral) position. Always set the parking brake fully and turn off the ignition when leaving the vehicle
Thanks for the information, looks like I'll be locking in the hubs and doing similar to what I did with the auto hubs. I'll see how that works and go from there.

chrlsful

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, looks like I'll be locking in the hubs and doing similar to what I did with the auto hubs. I'll see how that works and go from there.
ya gotta stick rather than an ele button (sorta)...
(between driveway plows in the winter I'm not gunna get out'n loc/unloc every time, they often sit nxt door...

blksn8k

Reaction score
The simple answer here is that, yes, you can leave the hubs in the LOCK position and drive the vehicle with the transfer case in 2H. That will not cause any immediate or catastrophic damage. However, when you do that just be aware that there will be parts like the front axle and driveshaft that will be rotating that would not be rotating if the hubs were not locked and that will cause a little more wear and tear and will probably cause your fuel mileage to be a bit lower. If you plan to do a lot of highway driving just put the hubs in the FREE position until the next time you plan to go off road or otherwise have a need for 4x4.

pappy19

Reaction score

Just had my auto lockers switched out my premium WARN manual hubs, hope I went the correct way as compared with the Mile brand.

All of my years of 4 wheel drives I've had auto hubs, never any problems, but had to switch to manual on my 96 Bronco due to parts availability or lack there of. I've grown use to just reaching down and putting her in 4 wheel when needed and back out when not. Now I have questions about said 4 wheel with the manuals. So here goes...

Doug
I have the Warn Supreme hubs as well. As soon as I go off pavement, I put my hubs in. In the winter here in Idaho, the hubs are locked all the time. It's not good to have your hubs in on pavement. Your front axles and bearings will not get any **** if you keep your hubs unlocked for long periods of time, like 6 months or more. With the hubs unlocked, you can still put it in low range, but you'll only be in 2 wheel drive. The front universal will turn but won't turn the front wheels until they are locked. When ever you turn in your hubs, always rock back and forth gently to make sure the hub gears are locked. Don't turn them in and gun it in 4x4, or you could strip the little gears.

Little Reggie

Reaction score

Doug
no.1 is a very good question...Best thing to do is ask Ford...
No.2 on my 87 Bronco 2 the visor says to lock hubs then shift into 4L or 4H
No.3 no...Hubs have to be locked in...
No.4not sure...
No.5 thats a pretty good idea and very logical...makes sence...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

L\Bronco

Reaction score

Doug
Hey RockinBronco, always like to meet fellow Dougs!
No Damage will come from leaving them locked, (Mine are locked from Sept till May and I've never had a failure.)
(Full time systems can't be unlocked)
It will affect fuel economy very slightly, but you shouldn't feel or notice anything weird.
Hope that helps
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke