Leaks, Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluryeyes

Reaction score
It's a 1990 5.8L automatic with manual hubs for 4WD. The Bronc needs an exhaust, so it's noisy. However, I hear the sound when I let off on the accelerator. I have not had it out of town since I brought it home, so I have not gone over 30 mph. I do not hear it in reverse. Also, it is doing more clunking and jerking when I shift from drive to reverse. I have an appointment with the garage tomorrow to finish the NY inspection. I disconnected the battery for about 1/2 hour,but the check engine light did not clear. I really like my Bronc, however funds are limited and I really need to know what is going on before I put it under load. Thank you for reminding me of a rear main seal problem. I had that problem with my 84 F150. I had the work done, seal, bearings, oil pump, etc. It lasted about 3 months and the oil pump locked up towing my boat at 65 mph. I wound up putting in a rebuilt motor (302) and suing the garage and NAPA. I won the lawsuit.

4xfan78

Reaction score
The clunking when shifting is a bad u-joint on the drive shaft. The check engine light could be on for many reasons, I would check the vaccum lines, pcv valve, make sure the gas cap is on tight, it also depends on how long ago you did a tune up. but if its a new engine its probably something small thats wrong. Good luck with it, thats the main reason why I went with the older model bronco's is to get away from computers.

Seabronc

Reaction score
DITTO!! on the joints. They cause vibration when starting to freeze up. They have grease fittings but most people don't add any durring maintenance.

good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat