inverted rear shackle bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to invert the bracket for the rear suspension so the shackle and leaf packs are below the bracket? What would be the easiest way to lift the front to match the height of the rear? I was thinking of putting some round blocks on top of the front coils and tack welding it to the top coil to get the desired height. Or what about some longer coils off of another truck like an f-series truck?

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Flipping the shackle lifts the rig 3" if I remember right.

The front leaf mount on the frame can also be raised which will lower the rear and increase ground clearance.

For the front, simply buy some new long travel coils to match the height.

The rear flip is a good way to gain height cheap and increase flex with your stock leafs. Front coils are cheap compaired to leafs.

OP
OP
O

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
Is it possible to use the stock shackle bracket or would it be better to just make another one to line up with the rivet holes?I could make another bracket for the shackle cuz I go to a community college for welding and could probably weld some 1/4'' plate to hold the shackle and still line up with the holes.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
You can make your own but its not needed. After you drill out the rivits, flip it and bolt it on. Here's a photo to get the idea. This is on a 80's Bronco but its all the same. Below is an alternative (making your own) with a shackle flip/ drop extension(like revolvers) home made. Easy way for flex.

see below again for more flex...

OP
OP
O

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
OMG, those setups are INSANE. I like it, Looks fairly easy to do just flipping over the shackle bracket. Thanks

ocalabronco

Reaction score
the absolute easiest way to do it is to order a set of brackets from Sky Engineering. they bolt right into the stock holes and you can re-use your stock shackle OR use a set of belltech 2" drop shackles for more lift. the other, cheaper option that requires a hair more effort is going to a junkyard and pulling the FRONT leaf spring hanger from any f-series or bronco. IIRC a couple of the bolt holes line up, but you have to drill the rest. also with the Sky kits, they provide gr. 8 hardware

BRONCFOOT

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to invert the bracket for the rear suspension so the shackle and leaf packs are below the bracket? What would be the easiest way to lift the front to match the height of the rear? I was thinking of putting some round blocks on top of the front coils and tack welding it to the top coil to get the desired height. Or what about some longer coils off of another truck like an f-series truck?
24653[/snapback]

If this is a Twin traction beam trk like your 84,without using drop bkts for all connecting points youll NEVER get it to not look like a road grader.Youll have so much positive camber itll be ridiculous and not alignable,plus you probably wont get the height you wanted anyway. Save yourself some headaches and buy a complete frt & rr kit,unless youre gonna go wild.

juGGernaut

Reaction score
not to advertise for another bronco website, but fullsizebronco.com has alot of posts on this subject, some have used f-250 shackles, and some go to http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ford1.htm

its not that hard, just remove rivets from old bracket and install new shackle, i think it actually gives you 4" of lift with new stock springs.

but these were mainly done with 78-79 broncos, dunno if your 84 will be as easy

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23