intermittent PS problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
This one is a little outside my realm of hands-on knowledge. I know you guys here will have the insight....so here goes.

My neice has an 05 Ranger 4.0. The power steering occationally goes out for a short time. (just a few seconds) Usually when making a tight turn, like backing out of a parking space or driveway. (when you need it most) The belt is in good condition and properly tentioned. Fluid level ok, anthough pretty dark.

Someone said the pumps are known to go bad, but it makes no noise and seems to work normally 90% of the time.

Is there a preasure valve on the pump or inline that can be changed?

Is this a common problem indicating a PS pump failure is immenient?

I don't want to put an $85 pump on for her if it won't cure the problem.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Not up on these rigs either..., but, does it have 4WD..? Could be a bind in the (front axle) knuckle u-joints.

Mine did this in right turns now-n-then.... the right side axle u-joints (2 of the cap roller bearings) were ground to "dust" ..! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Amazing they still worked..!!!

Just something you might check first..?

Or maybe a bad ball joint..?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco