Idles but stalls when I put into gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoyLiam

Reaction score
So I got my aod trans rebuilt because it wouldn’t go into Over drive. Drove it about 100 miles then started Turing on then when I put Into reverse drive overdrive or 1st just stalls on me. I did everything I can think as follows plugs and wires egr iac ignition coil throttle position sensor. I took it back to the trans place to make sure it wasn’t the torque converter and it wasn’t everything in the trans is perfect. It’s been a month since I’ve been able to use it. It was my ever day truck I used for everything so thanks in advance for all the help. I’m sure I left something out too so if you have any qu questions just ask.

id like to add what every once in a while when i start it it will go into gear and i can move it but once i take m foot off the gas it ussually stalls.

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You took it back to the trans place.

So you are able to drive it? So it restarts ok and then runs fine? Or what do you have to do in order to keep it running and make it driveable?

OP
OP
C

CountryBoyLiam

Reaction score
No sorry I forgot to add I got it towed their my bad. That’s the thing I havnt been able to make it driveable.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I hope they would have checked it, but is it low on trans fluid?

Does it bog down and die, like you can feel the truck lunge like it is in gear, like dumping the clutch on a manual? or just it just cut off?

Does the truck roll free if you put it in neutral?

Just some other things to try.
Can you put the rear end up on jack stands if you have a decent set. Then see if it runs when you put it in gear.

I believe AOD is a non locking torque convertor so it really shouldn't be killing the engine. Even if something is mechanically broken in the trans the torque convertor should still slip.

Otherwise I would imagine you are looking for something electrical, Like when shifting into gear is there a wire harness rubbed through on the steering column, or underneath the truck. We the engine rocks just enough when shifting to short it out.

Hard to imagine but maybe a neutral safety switch. Will the truck start in neutral?

Wires pinched in the bellhousing when they put the trans back in?

Something burnt through on the exhaust?

OP
OP
C

CountryBoyLiam

Reaction score
Well I hope they would have checked it, but is it low on trans fluid?

Does it bog down and die, like you can feel the truck lunge like it is in gear, like dumping the clutch on a manual? or just it just cut off?

Does the truck roll free if you put it in neutral?

Just some other things to try.
Can you put the rear end up on jack stands if you have a decent set. Then see if it runs when you put it in gear.

I believe AOD is a non locking torque convertor so it really shouldn't be killing the engine. Even if something is mechanically broken in the trans the torque convertor should still slip.

Otherwise I would imagine you are looking for something electrical, Like when shifting into gear is there a wire harness rubbed through on the steering column, or underneath the truck. We the engine rocks just enough when shifting to short it out.

Hard to imagine but maybe a neutral safety switch. Will the truck start in neutral?

Wires pinched in the bellhousing when they put the trans back in?

Something burnt through on the exhaust?

OP
OP
C

CountryBoyLiam

Reaction score
It did have a trans leak but it was just the lines so I tightened it up with some flair wrenches trans fluid level was fine.
She starts in neutral and park and I can push it around when I put it in neutral.
When I start the truck she idles great when I put it into gear it’s like it just can’t handle the load your giving it.
when I get home I will try and put the rear end up on some stands like you emimplied thanks

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it rev up fine in park? Can you rev it up to like 18oo rpms and hold it?

Do you have a tach? What rpms does it idle at?

What about steeping on the throttle to try and keep it running while you put it in gear. (holding the rpms at like 1000)

Could be something weird like EGR stuck open. Or a sticky IAC. Maybe worn throttle body, vac leak.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoyLiam

Reaction score
revs up fine in park itll go beyond 3000 and hold
i adjusted the ***** in the trottle body when i put my new throttle posistion switch in and at idles its about 750-800 rpm
it wont go into gear if i power break it.
i replaced the iac and egr already.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah my next step would be jack stands.

Interesting.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Liam,
Welcome!
Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning
If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it.
Is it on?

TRY a Self Test for Codes by my pal BroncoJoe19
Code Reader..... - 80-96 Ford Bronco - Ford Bronco Zone Early Bronco Classic FullSize Broncos

Heat the engine up; engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test.

Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.
Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic)
Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.
And Post em here according to
KOEO
&
KOER
See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl jowens126 's HVAC Control Panel info @ Help with dtc codes and idle
Excerpts;
"When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost."

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by Mrs BroncMom!

AI

OP
OP
C

CountryBoyLiam

Reaction score
The codes I was getting was throttle position related I belive they were 23 and 63 I’m guessing they were cause because I adjusted my bolt in my throttle so idle would run high to see if it would go into gear that way.

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
Hey Country Boy, I just put a ford remanufactured e4od in mine, well 3 actually. After the second one went back to the dealer, we figured out there was a kink in the transmission line going out of the tranny right at the join point for the tranny cooler. It was cutting down about 80% of the flow out of the tranny into the cooler. Mine was stalling in reverse, and sometimes putting it in drive. If your foot is off the gas there may not be enough force to push fluid into the tranny. This is a simple check, wont cost you a thing. Check the line coming out of the tranny, into the cooler. Sometimes it's not complicated, sometimes it's just some hack who owned the car before you that should have left it alone.... :) or brought it to a dealer.....

chrlsful

Reaction score
I don't understand both of these. Runs OK till taken some where. To me U take it back till they get it right.

If it runs ****** & U take it in, they wrk on something else, that is fixed, but the other problem remains it's on U.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
So I got my aod trans rebuilt because it wouldn’t go into Over drive. Drove it about 100 miles then started Turing on then when I put Into reverse drive overdrive or 1st just stalls on me. I did everything I can think as follows plugs and wires egr iac ignition coil throttle position sensor. I took it back to the trans place to make sure it wasn’t the torque converter and it wasn’t everything in the trans is perfect. It’s been a month since I’ve been able to use it. It was my ever day truck I used for everything so thanks in advance for all the help. I’m sure I left something out too so if you have any qu questions just ask.

id like to add what every once in a while when i start it it will go into gear and i can move it but once i take m foot off the gas it ussually stalls.
what year is it? Is it fuel injection--or carb? Give more information for someone to be able to help you with your problem.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22