Idleing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sorny

Reaction score
I have a 89 Bronco with the 5.0L, and in the mornings when i start it, it will run fine but then after a min it will idle down to 600rpm and it will jump from 500rpm to 700rpm. It will do this for about a min or so then it will quiet and idle fine. So does anyone know whats up with this?

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
first try a tune-up if you haven't in awhile. fresh plugs, wires, cap and rotor fixes lots of these little problems.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Don't forget the forgotten tune-up part, the O2 sensor. Also an oil change is always a good thing. Now the oil change may not solve the problem but it will most likely stop it for a few miles.

If the tune-up seems to slow it down but it comes back in a few hundred miles then your next step should be to check / replace the EGR valve and other sensors related to that.

This was a problem with my truck and I had the dealer fix it when they replaced all of my drive-line seals.

Hope this helps.

VegasBronco

Reaction score
I've also got an '89 with a 5.0 and mine does kinda the same thing. It starts up at about 1250 for maybe 20-30 sec then to down to 1000 for 20 then to 900, then it drops to normal idle. I just think of it as warming up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23