I know NOTHING about wiring...please help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dommo2007

Reaction score
Ok, I saw a bunch of threads related to the wiring that gets the tailgate window up and down, but frankly, I need it broken down to stupid kid level. My rear window will not go down, either by the switch, or by the key. I have tried pushing on the tailgate, to make sure the connection is made, but no luck. I suppose before anyone explains wiring, maybe someone could help me troubleshoot why its not going down. All the other switches work just fine, if that matters, but I dont know for sure weather its a wiring/electrical issue, or if the window components are shot. Should I start by opening it up, and looking at the reulator, etc...and if so, what am I looking for, other than its not crispy looking, or wires are missing...or should I start by checking that everything has got juice? I know there is probably a thread about this somewhere, but I couldnt find any, just about how to test the wiring. If I should start by checking that, just tell me and I will go back to those threads, but I figured if there was something easier, I would start there.

Thank you, and any help is greatly appriciated, since I really want the top to come off while the weather is nice.

gatorbronco

Reaction score
First off, why are you assuming the wiring is bad? If neither the key or the button is working, chances are that you just have a bad motor. If you take the rear panel off of the tailgate, you can get in and look at the motor. Then, with an assistant pushing the button, check and see if the motor is getting any voltage or making any noise. If the motor is getting voltage but nothing is happening, then you probably need a new motor. That's where I would start.

Seabronc

Reaction score
A quick and dirty is to open the access panel, locate the wires to the motor (along the bottom of the gate), then use a set of jumpers to hook the battery to the motor leads, (swapping the jumpers between the motor leads will reverse the direction). If the motor turns but doesn't move the window, you have a gear problem in the motor drive (a repair kit is available). If it does nothing, motor is bad. If it goes up and down, (you have a wiring problem). More details when you report back on the results.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph