I fear the worst

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
so just the other day my truck (89 f-150 302 efi 213000 km's) ((100 000 ish miles)) went from running tip top to stalling almost every time I stop at an intersection. Can see oil smoke when on the highway with the pedal to the floor. tops out at about 63 mph, runs very rough at times when on the highway. when idling it fluctuates from normal to almost dead constantly, even when in park or neutral the engine will bog when revving. can see oil residue on the ground beside exhaust after sitting while running for a few minutes. last time I changed my oil after 5000 km's it was very much broke down and had very little in it, maybe 3 liters.

coolant level is fine and no visible leakage on the exterior of the engine can be seen.

oh and when I disconnect something on the vacuum ( ie brake booster) it idles perfectly fine, maybe a bit high, but when I reconnect it the idle drops and dies everytime.

im thinking piston rings... what do you guys think??

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I'm also thinking piston rings. Loss of compression and oil leakage or "blow-by" in the cylinders. You could try a compression test, or even pull the spark plugs and check if any are oily. JSM84

Xxxyank

Reaction score
Doesn't sound good :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />... check the compression...

If it is time, just consider it an upgrade that you will cherish for years to come! :unsure:

Ok that was lame, it just doesn't sound right over the net... But i have given that speech to a few customers before...LOL $-)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
Today after limping it home from work it has been pulled off the road for the summer. The 429 drag car t-bird is my daily again. I have way too much stuff going on to worry about what to do with the truck for now.( ie my wedding is 2 weeks from saturday) my options are drop the 250 buck on rings and main bearings, ( might as well i'll be right there anyways) the tear into the motor near the end of july, or buy a low km 302 or 351 motor to drop in it. I know my dad has a 351 clevland from a 73 mustang but that might be more trouble than its worth.

thanks for the confirmation, I'll keep you guys posted.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I think the 351Cleveland would be a bad choice for the Bronco, unless that engine is highly modified. A 429/460 swap would be of more benefit, IMO. But yeah, a junkyard/running 302/351 motor swap would get you going again quicker than having the motor overhauled. I just look for ANY opportunity to drop a 460 in place of the boat-anchor 302/351W for a Bronco. You already have some run-time with a 429 so know what's best for you. Good Luck with the marriage thing, too!!! JSM84

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
speaking of 429, im having some trouble with my t-bird. im getting a major bog at WOT, had a kink in the fuel line, pulled it off and un kinked it, put it back on and it seemed to be working perfectly fine. 2 days later went for a slow cruise into town with the bride to be and thats when I noticed it was acting up again. it used to hiccup when you first touched the throttle then bog at wot before i fixed the kink, now it just bogs at wide open throttle.

I don't have a fuel pressure tester, multimeter, compression tester, nothing but the basics since I moved a little while ago.

any ideas to narrow it down?

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
im thinking fuel pressure, or ignition, seems to be getting worse, half throttle or more, just bogs, like either there isn't enough fuel to keep up with the air, or the advance isn't working right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23