How About 3/4 Ton Convesions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bajaplayboy

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the advice on the solid axle!! however my buddy has an 3/4 ton TTB truck that is dead and was wondering if i wanted it for my 1/2 ton TTB in my 81 ford. We were shotting the breeze and where thinking that the axles are the same (basically) btu the question that i was wondering was do i mount the spring shackles on my 81 and install the whole thing or do i strip the leaf springs off the 3/4 ton front and use the coils i have from the stock dana 44? oh and before anyone asks why im doing it .....well i broke a slip yoke and free is cheaper then the slip yoke. >:) thanks all

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. You're taking all the TTB stuff out of the 3/4 ton and putting it in the bronco? I take it you're doing the rear axle at the same time. Do I have this right?

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
The 3/4 ton D50 is too wide for the bronco's frame. You'd have to spend ALOT of time fabricating and welding, to make it all fit right. OR, you might be able to measure back on both frames, til they're both the same width, then cut and weld there, but that also would mean extensive modifications to the bronco's body mounts, to fit the 3/4ton's frame

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

bajaplayboy

Reaction score
yes i would be switching out rear axles too being that the gear ratios are different. the 3/4 ton is coming of a f-250 and my truck is an F-150 so i would hope they would be similiar in size, but you guys know more about it then me. thanks guys

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'll add my opinion on this, since you're thinking about swapping in your friend's 3/4ton parts. IMO, if you're wanting to do this, and now that you know it won't fit, I would consider swapping in a solid front axle. It'll take almost as much work as it would to swap in your friend's D50 parts, plus you'll have the added benefit of stronger, and cheaper, parts

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
I'll add my opinion on this, since you're thinking about swapping in your friend's 3/4ton parts. IMO, if you're wanting to do this, and now that you know it won't fit, I would consider swapping in a solid front axle. It'll take almost as much work as it would to swap in your friend's D50 parts, plus you'll have the added benefit of stronger, and cheaper, parts
I agree with Davids78 on this one. A solid axle might even be easier to do than the D50.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
I'm gonna add my two cents here as well..

The Dana 50 ttb is going to be a huge pain to install in the 1/2 ton Bronco chassis.

The crossmembers are different, the mounting points are not the same even though they look similiar.

Your best bet here is going to be to swap in a solid axle D44 from a half ton or Bronco.

Then you need to find a 3/4 ton 44 with a leaf spring front diff (super cab 3/4t is your best bet, they are usually the cheapest to buy, and you will have matching front and rear diffs)

Swap the knuckles out from the front diff, change the spring perch width on the rear diff, and voila.... 3/4t Bronco.

89 bronco

;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Why dont you just put the bronco body on top of the 3/4 ton frame and shorten the back half of the frame to match the body? Just kiding its not that easy. Your talkin night mare to swap over to the leaf sprung 3/4 ton . I agree to stay with a leaf sprung dana 60 or a coil sprung dana 44. The only 3/4 ton leaf sprung dana 44 that i know of that came in a ford was the older body style.79 and older. f150's. the 80 through 95 body style is wider than the 79 and older. Wider frame that is. We tried to swap out my 3/4 ton ttb for a d44 straight axle. the pearch pads were too narrow for the leaf springs to fit. The frame of my truck was wider than the 78 3/4 ton truck we got the front end from. We couldnt move the pearch pads because one of the pads is actualy part of the diff. housing. So i fronted the cash for the dana 60. :)>-

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
since they are both trucks. what wheel base is your F150 and what wheel base is the F250? If there both say reg. cab long beds or both ex. cab long beds. If they are the same I'd just swap your body motor and tranny/tcase onto the F250's frame if it's still good. much easier then trying to fab the leaf sprung frontend under your truck. with air tools and help you can probably have it done in a day or weekend depending how ya work and if any problems.

strip the F250's frame a head of time so it'll be ready for your swap. just yank your cab with motor still in it. so it'll be easy access pulling your motor/tranny and easy access putting it on the other frame with no front clip and cab in the way. with a few friends the clip and cab can be swap together. that way every thing bolts into place and no fabbing to do.. just IMO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23