Hood lifts/struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
1987 B-Co; 351W; C6

Howdy folks. Has anyone here successfully installed hood struts/hydraulic lifts on their rig? I need to replace the lifts on my B-Co and thought this might be a cool add. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

B-Co Kid

Motech

Reaction score
I've installed add-on support struts on a 1st gen, '67 Bronco with an aftermarket hood. Hood and strut kit both came from Wild Horses 4x4.

These are their stainless units mounted. They're expensive at $159.00

1658984440370.png

Black ones are $79.00, and they include all mounting hardware and brackets.

1658984548091.png

I'm still curious why you need them for your '87. Do you have an aftermarket hood installed? If so, and if fiberglass, no doubt the lifts above will work for yours too.

OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
I've installed add-on support struts on a 1st gen, '67 Bronco with an aftermarket hood. Hood and strut kit both came from Wild Horses 4x4.

These are their stainless units mounted. They're expensive at $159.00

View attachment 30242

Black ones are $79.00, and they include all mounting hardware and brackets.

View attachment 30243

I'm still curious why you need them for your '87. Do you have an aftermarket hood installed? If so, and if fiberglass, no doubt the lifts above will work for yours too.
I have the original hood and original lifts/springs installed; and it’s time to replace the lifts/springs. I don’t, need struts, however, If there is a strut kit available to replace the lifts/springs, I’d consider the swap

Motech

Reaction score
I have the original hood and original lifts/springs installed; and it’s time to replace the lifts/springs. I don’t, need struts, however, If there is a strut kit available to replace the lifts/springs, I’d consider the swap
Without springs, I'm not certaain lift struts would hold, and if they did, I wouldn't trust them.

Emelio

Reaction score
1987 B-Co; 351W; C6

Howdy folks. Has anyone here successfully installed hood struts/hydraulic lifts on their rig? I need to replace the lifts on my B-Co and thought this might be a cool add. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

B-Co Kid
Hi B-Co Kid,
You have quite a list with upgrades; My '86 Bronco XLT has the same blue navy interior and I'm also thinking of major upgrades similar to the ones you've done. I'm working on restoring both "Captain's" seats right now...How has the .060 overbore worked for you? I have a 351W 5.8L on mine and it's .040 overbore ;it might require to be bored to .060 but I do not know that yet. I still need to pull the engine out and inspect. Also, have you used a kit to rebuild your C6 tranny? I assume your Bronco is for street use...
Thank you!

Vic

Last edited: