HID headlight review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Well I have had my DDM Tuning HID kit installed in my Bronco for a few months now.. and all I gotta say, is I love them!

Bronco isn't the daily driver..but when it snows or it's night tiime, the Bronco is the first choice in the garage! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I orderd my kit, the DDM Tuning 35watt, 6000k (Bright white, tint of blue), lifetime warranty for $72.xx to my door.

If you decide to order a kit for yourself, please be sure to ADJUST your headlights properly!! I adjusted mine per the 25' rule.. but tweeked them up a little higher to project the light out perfectly to the distance I felt comfortable with. In the last 5 months, I have yet to be flashed by oncoming traffic, been behind countless police/state trooper cars, and not had a single issue. I actually had a fellow officer comment on how nice they were and he wanted a kit too for his truck :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, glare is an issue if you have a 87-91 Bronco. I took standard electrical tape on the outer edges of the lense, and did two strips boxing inword to reduce glare. This did not effect the light output - I tested with electrical tape as it's easy to remove..and replace with silver/chrome 1" thick pin-stripe..but been too lazy lol

SDC10397d.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

My playing around with the tape to block off the glare.. Truck looks really nice when the tape is on straight.

IMG_0462.jpg

SDC10393s.jpg

I know I know..the music shoulda been more manly LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Greggk

Reaction score
Well I have had my DDM Tuning HID kit installed in my Bronco for a few months now.. and all I gotta say, is I love them!
Bronco isn't the daily driver..but when it snows or it's night tiime, the Bronco is the first choice in the garage! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I orderd my kit, the DDM Tuning 35watt, 6000k (Bright white, tint of blue), lifetime warranty for $72.xx to my door.

If you decide to order a kit for yourself, please be sure to ADJUST your headlights properly!! I adjusted mine per the 25' rule.. but tweeked them up a little higher to project the light out perfectly to the distance I felt comfortable with. In the last 5 months, I have yet to be flashed by oncoming traffic, been behind countless police/state trooper cars, and not had a single issue. I actually had a fellow officer comment on how nice they were and he wanted a kit too for his truck :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, glare is an issue if you have a 87-91 Bronco. I took standard electrical tape on the outer edges of the lense, and did two strips boxing inword to reduce glare. This did not effect the light output - I tested with electrical tape as it's easy to remove..and replace with silver/chrome 1" thick pin-stripe..but been too lazy lol

SDC10397d.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

My playing around with the tape to block off the glare.. Truck looks really nice when the tape is on straight.

IMG_0462.jpg

SDC10393s.jpg

I know I know..the music shoulda been more manly LOL

looks great man, i have done HID conversions on all my vehicles i have owned for the last few years and LOVE them. i cant wait to do it on my 82 bronco.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
looks great man, i have done HID conversions on all my vehicles i have owned for the last few years and LOVE them. i cant wait to do it on my 82 bronco.
Yeah same here..got em on the new trucks/car which all have the dimond cut headlights from the factory..this is my first with the ribbed headlight lens, normally found on older vehicles so I was kinda weary on the light output/glare and such.. glad I found a solution for great lighting, and not bugging other drivers ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope everyone else joins and experinces the greatness :lol:

Greggk

Reaction score
Yeah same here..got em on the new trucks/car which all have the dimond cut headlights from the factory..this is my first with the ribbed headlight lens, normally found on older vehicles so I was kinda weary on the light output/glare and such.. glad I found a solution for great lighting, and not bugging other drivers ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hope everyone else joins and experinces the greatness :lol:
now i know you said ou put the tape on to reduce glare. does it really make that much of a difference?

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
now i know you said ou put the tape on to reduce glare. does it really make that much of a difference?
Oh yeah. I did several tests.. I am/was unemployed at the moment..so I have plenty of time to do these kinda things LOL

First test I did was in a 09 F150 4x4 pickup. Had my bud drive towards me in the Bronco (after I adjusted the lights per the 25 ft rule) and it wasn't TOO bad..but still bright and annoying.

Second test was in a 06 Nissan Altima stock suspension and the results were <_< ..I had those lil dots every time i would blink.

So I sat in the garage for an hour thinking of a way to keep the HIDs and not worry about the Police or people flashing me all the time.. Then I thought about putting tape around to reduce glare. So I played around with electrical tape as this was easy to apply/remove.

My findings suggested that the 2" border around blocking off the excess light did not effect light output. It also sharpend the light output quite a bit.. if you look above at my photo of the lights up agains the wall, they do have a simular "cut off" like projector headlights do..not as sharp as projectors, but enough to make these pleasent for myself and on-coming traffic.

I tried different thickness, just tape on the top part, just tape on two sides, every possible combination you could think of. And the 2" all around border looked/performed the best.

So outside I went, called down my bud, and did the same drive by tests as before with the pickup and sedan. Altho they are bright, they are only bright if you actually look at them. Just driving by, they looked just like any other headlights, but with a bright white/blue instead of the common sunlight yellow.

Final road test, proved that they are still effective at lighting up street signs. Quite well actually. And like I said, I have yet to be flashed by anyone or stopped by the police for any reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke