help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dom

Reaction score
i have a axel the tag on it says EHD E57 510696 .. IT CAME OUT OF A 66 BRONCO how can i tell what gears are in it

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Dom.., welcome...!

I never trust the tags.

I assume you have the whole axle drum to drum.

Rotate one side...if the other side rotates the same direction, that's posi.

If they rotate different directions, that's an open dif. soooooo,

ONE rotation of the drum = 4.1 revolutions of the dr. shaft yoke..., that's 4:11 gearing.

3 1/2 revs = 3:50 gearing & so on......

(chalk-mark the drum & yoke)

POST YOUR FINDINGS IF YOU WOULD..... >:D< <'>

sandman90

Reaction score
Good morning, will this also work for the front axel if you lock in the front hubs and shoud the front driveshaft be turning with the axel when you turn it?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yes.., (jacked up, T-case in neutral) once the hubs are locked, the wheels, axleshafts, diff. & dr. shaft all spin together.

However, it can be a bit tricky. Been a while since I've done this...in some cases you need one wheel blocked or on the ground to get the correct count.

Meaning suppose you chalk-mark the floor & tire.., & the dr. shaft. (both wheels free.., open diff.) You spin the wheel 1 revolution....& you get 4.1 rotations of the dr. shaft. This would indicate 4:11's If you then blocked one wheel & repeat...you would get slightly over 2 rotations of the dr. shaft.

I'd have to go out & do mine to remember exactly but you get the picture (clear as mud... :wacko: )

I think with posi or lockers, you just need both wheels free.

Let us know what you find...so I can "up-date" my brain-pan..! >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

sandman90

Reaction score
Good morning again,I did what you suggested and here's what I got

Jacked up the front and put it on stands,put the t-case in neutral and locked in the hubs

turned the drivers side wheel,driveshaft moved pass side wheel didn't

turned the pass side wheel driveshaft moved drivers side wheel didn't

is this normal or do I have a oroblem I haven't found about till now? If so what?

Also I did the tape test on both sides and got the same results a little over 2 revs of the drive shaft does this mean I have 4.10s? I am now going to have to check the rear again to make sure I didn't miss count

If I have 4.10s that might explain the12mpg.

Thanks,

sandman90

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Sandman..,

We kinda stole Dom's thread but he may be following as well.

NO you don't have a problem.., that's fine.... it's an 'open' differental. It rotates the other wheel via drag in the diff.., in fact if it did rotate, someone could walk up & put a hand on it & it would stop.

However, if your wheel bearings haven't been serviced in a while & are sticky.., that's enough to hold it fr. counter rotating.

Correct.., 4:10/4:11's If the other wheel counter-rotated, you would get 4.1 rotations of the dr. shaft.

If you 4x4'd in 4WD & nothing snapped... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> they're likely the same gears in the rear. :D/

But, do check it.

Actually 12 MPG isn't bad mileage with these flat faced rigs, V/8 with auto & all.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
UPDATE...! :-B

I got an attack of "UN-LAZINESS" |-) & raised my front (open diff.).

Hubs locked, T-case in neutral.... only 1 wheel would spin, along with the dr. shaft. Unless I spun it fast, then the opposite wheel would rotate.

Blocking one wheel, one rotation of the free wheel got a bit over 2 1/4 turns----- 2.28 x 2 = 456's That's what I have 456 gears.

NOW.., Tranie & T-case in gear.., rotating one wheel moves the opposite wheel instantly, in the opposite direction. However, the dr. shaft doesn't move. (makes sense)

REAR AXLE.. being posi.., rotate 1 wheel,(trans in neutral) (oposite wheel rotates the same direction) one revolution.., I get slightly over 4.5 rev's of the dr. shaft. Again = 456's

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
UPDATE...! :-B

I got an attack of "UN-LAZINESS" |-) & raised my front (open diff.).

Hubs locked, T-case in neutral.... only 1 wheel would spin, along with the dr. shaft. Unless I spun it fast, then the opposite wheel would rotate.

Blocking one wheel, one rotation of the free wheel got a bit over 2 1/4 turns----- 2.28 x 2 = 456's That's what I have 456 gears.

NOW.., Tranie & T-case in gear.., rotating one wheel moves the opposite wheel instantly, in the opposite direction. However, the dr. shaft doesn't move. (makes sense)

REAR AXLE.. being posi.., rotate 1 wheel,(trans in neutral) (oposite wheel rotates the same direction) one revolution.., I get slightly over 4.5 rev's of the dr. shaft. Again = 456's
please i have told a hundred people the same thing make this a newwbie fact bigblubronc

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hay Blu.., sup..??? :)>-

Ya..!!! That's true for 'bout 15 (repetitive) questions on this board related to EB's

Brakes, gears, lifts, lights, sputter, ignition, steering, etc., etc.

That's why the Questions/answers are left there. However, very few bother to read them.

On the plus side, that keeps the few of us that care to answer them, fresh. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Many of the good mechanics on this board have slipped away.. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :unsure:

1980 & up Broncos are a bit more complicated for obvious reasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat