help with front wheels making noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illinoisbronco

Reaction score
whenever the truck is in drive at any speed it makes a noise from the front wheels that goes clack clack clack about a second apart. when i tap the brakes it stops for a second. i have disassembled the brakes and found no problem. on a jack the wheels have no play pushing and pulling in and out. should i look further into the brakes or wheel bearings or hubs????

and help is appreciated. it is our only car now and i dont want it to lock up.

Yardape

Reaction score
I would jack up the front end and put it on jackstands, spin each front wheel and listen for the clacking. The clacking you described sounds to me like its a front hub problem. When you spin them watch to see if the axle turns as well.

OP
OP
illinoisbronco

illinoisbronco

Reaction score
I agree thats what it sounds like to me
i remember i have done that when i jacked it up to checked the brakes. it doesnt make the sound. maybe it has to have pressure on it to do that. what does rebuilding a hub consist of? a kit or do you have to replace the whole thing?

JLasvegas

Reaction score
make sure that they are turned to the open position fully, if slightly off, they will partially engage at strange times

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
When you checked the brakes did you notice it the ant-rattle clips were on the caliper....mine was making the same type of noise...clicking or clacking as you stated...it was the brake shoes doing what mechanics call walking...they move up and down with the movement of the rotor....that's what the clips are there for...to keep the shoes from moving.....chk and see if they are missing in action..... B)

walnuts75

Reaction score
i just replaced all 3 u-joints when i put in the new c-6. i have already ruled that our. thanks though.
Wow, you gotta c-6, that thing must be tougher than crap! Well if its not your u-joints then I agree that they might be the hubs. Are they stock? (most of the stock hubs just dont last) If you have to replace your hubs go with Warn, they are flat out awesome! Thats what I have, but I forget how much they are.

OP
OP
illinoisbronco

illinoisbronco

Reaction score
Wow, you gotta c-6, that thing must be tougher than crap! Well if its not your u-joints then I agree that they might be the hubs. Are they stock? (most of the stock hubs just dont last) If you have to replace your hubs go with Warn, they are flat out awesome! Thats what I have, but I forget how much they are.
you're probably right. they are stock hubs and it has somewhere in the neighborhood of 250k and 300k miles. thats one of the couple of things that isnt new on that truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23