Fuel Stabilizer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desert Donk

Reaction score
I started the last thread on Marvel Mystery oil so I know most additives are really a waste. But I wonder about fuel stabilizer. I don't have a working fuel gauge so I kind of judge by mileage. It sometimes takes a couple of months to use all 33 gallons. I would put in less but then I would be running out of gas too often. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So I wonder if folks think Stabil or some brand of stabilizer is good for fuel that can get a bit old?

Thanks

stinger

Reaction score
I have never used it but a friend of mine has and says it works great stores his car for about 5 months a year and has been doing it for about 6 yrs using stabil and no probs

Seabronc

Reaction score
Fuel stabelizer is only for storing gas for long periods of time. If you are driving regularly you are always putting fresh gas in the truck and it is not necessary. The only aditive that I know of that is of any real use is dry gas in the winter to prevent moisture in the fuel from freezing. If you live in Arizona then I doubt that dry gass is of any real use either.

Good luck, :)>-

OP
OP
D

Desert Donk

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Fuel will go for 6 weeks at a time in my truck before I run it down to 5 gallons or so and fill up again. I heard that fuel starts to go bad after 2 weeks so I wondered if I should be using it. It sounds as though even at 6 weeks that is not long enough to worry about.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Keep your tank full. The more air space that's in the tank, increaces the chance of any moisture in the fuel from evaporating, and rusting the inside of the tank. And each time you get back to the truck, don't just start it, drive it for awhile, to keep the axle, Tcase and trans internals all lubricated. Otherwise, any air space inside any of those components will also rust - not right away, mind you, but it will happen

Seabronc

Reaction score
6 weeks is not going to hurt. Ditto on the drive it, that also keeps the seals from drying out.

Good luck, :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23