fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffm

Reaction score
i was wonder if there was any way to put a universial fuel pump on my 89 ford bronco 5.0 because the other day my truck started actting like it was going to die like it was running out of gas so i turned it off put more gas in it it wouldnt start for 2 days i changed the fuel fillter it started fine for a day in a half then would start again then it started took to my friends house like 4 blocks away and it died 4 times and started right up each time tested the fuel pressure with engine off key on it read about 23 psi i tured the key off then did it again it said 35 psi if not the fuel pump else would it be please help

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
The autoparts store brand fuel pumps ****. I have already replaced 2 in the last year, the second lasting only a week. Go straight to Ford and buy a new pump and get the new plug for the top. I think the total was around $250.00 for pump and plug and its money well spent.

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
Jeff,

A little more info please... like

When you turn key to ignition on, but don't bump it, can you hear the pump running at all?

Second, prior to this trouble, did you do anything to the engine?

Jim,

I thought your relay was bad...it was the pump the whole time?

Snowman74

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
Jeff,

When you turn key to ignition on, but don't bump it, can you hear the pump running at all?

Jim,

Snowman74
I replaced both just incase. I think the relay had something to do with it, but the pump died so I did em both.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
When my pump was going out its priming was VERY loud. Also check the fuel regulator at the beginning of the fuel rail...

OP
OP
J

jeffm

Reaction score
Jeff,

Jim,

Snowman74
didnt do anything to engine not 100% sure if the pump comes on or not but i do hear a little click under the hood when i turn the key to the on postion i went to work on the truck yesterday and when turned the key on to check the pressure it was at like 28 then started the truck and it ran for like 10 sec and died now when you turn the key to on pos the fuel pressure goes to like 35 36 and then goes to zero

Last edited by a moderator:

trailmule

Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt to pull your fuel pump relay and look at that. I was having similar problems and it turned out to be a bad relay and a loose wire somewhere. My relay was hot to the touch and corroded inside. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jeffm

Reaction score
both pumps work relay seems to be ok bought a new fuel pressure reg going to try that if it works i will let you know

Bo-bo

Reaction score
The priming noise on my 89 comes from right under the drivers seat.

OP
OP
J

jeffm

Reaction score
put the new fuel reg on and the damn pump in the tank quiet working got to buy a new one

OP
OP
J

jeffm

Reaction score
put the new fuel pump in the tank and truck ran good for like 2 min and died wont start again please help

bobstrat

Reaction score
mine did the same thing after replacing the gas tank. turn the key on and off a few times, sounds like maybe you lost your prime. you should hear the fuel pump activating when you turn the key on ( on but not start) if you cant hear the pump for like two seconds, then you need to troubleshoot the circuit.

redneckpunk

Reaction score
I would put money I got your problem. Look at the wiring pigtail that goes th your fuelpump relay the white wire tends to collect a lot of corrosion 10 minute job to take care of you. Its happened to me twice on two different vehicles one of them just tonight I spliced into the wire and put a new end on it. now it runs just fine. I hope this helps you.

footmaster

Reaction score
i had a problem with my fuel pump....somehow it wasnt getting power....i got a wire running from fuse box to the pump through a hole i had cut....did the trick

BRONCOGRL911

Reaction score
sounds like there could be a intermitent conection in the wiring leading to either fuel pumps or the relay if i were you i would check my connections just to make sure that none of the wiring is corroded or has any kind of cracks or splits where it could loose contact periodically good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jeffm

Reaction score
i think i got it i think the fuel pump lost its prime becausei started turn the key off and on a lot and it finally stayed running going to check it again in a couple days thank you everybody for the help

OP
OP
J

jeffm

Reaction score
nope didnt fix it both pumps work now got 30 psi fuel pressure and the truck runs good for about 5 to 10 min i dont understand please help going crazy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco