Fuel pump secondary circuit failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJ in GA

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel pump a couple months ago and all was fine. Last week it shut off while driving. I ran the codes and it came up 95-fuel pump secondary circuit failure. Any help would be appreciated. I’m not a mechanic but I’m learning with this girl.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hi EJ
Code 95 (sec circuit failure) on your 90 5.8 means that the brown wire from the Fp relay that goes to the inertia switch and the PCM didn't show 12v when the PCM grounded the relay using the Tan\Lt Grn wire (pin 86 on the relay.) The brown wire powers the fuel pump. This would explain why the pump quit, stopping the engine.
Severalthings can cause this. - No power to the fuel pump relay, (Yel or Red wires), Bad relay, open in the Brn wire between the relay and the splice (Before the inertia switch) open in the Tan\lt grn to the PCM or The pcm itself.
I'd start here. Use the PDF copies of the EVTM (electrical-vacuum troubleshooting manual) that Miesk5 posted in your first thread.
Go to the fuel pump relay ,(The green one under the hood) and check the following:
Yellow (pin 30) should have battery voltage at all times.
Red (pin 85 should have battery voltage when the key is on.
Brown (pin 87) Should have battery voltage for 2 seconds when the key is first turned to run, then should turn back on when the engine is cranking.(The relay should click as well at these times)
Tan\Lt Grn (pin 86) should be grounded for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on and then again while the engine is cranking.

Hope this helps, Good luck
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo