Front wheel bearings replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinokid

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1988 XLT that I believe the front wheel bearings are about to go out. I need to get them replaced, obviously, but I can't afford to take it to a shop. Is there anyone/anything who can give me some instruction on how to do this without messing it up. I greatly appreciate it, I would like to return this Bronco to it glory, I have nicknamed it "The Beast" and my nephew has called it the "Monster Car".

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Kid.., welcome...!

1st try typing in "front wheel bearings" in the top right on the home page & see what comes up.

Wheel bearings would be your "best case scenario" (& quiet easy)

Ea. wheel has; hub (Auto/manual), wheel bearings, spindle, spindle bearing, U-joints, & a few seals. Again all easy to do.

A $19 Haynes manual would be a good start.

I just did mine "complete" ... i.e. pulled the axle shafts & repl. U-joints, & most everything in-between.

For just the wheel bearings....just lay parts on a large clean cloth in the order they came off/out. Install in that same reverse order.

OP
OP
R

rinokid

Reaction score
Hi Kid.., welcome...!

1st try typing in "front wheel bearings" in the top right on the home page & see what comes up.

Wheel bearings would be your "best case scenario" (& quiet easy)

Ea. wheel has; hub (Auto/manual), wheel bearings, spindle, spindle bearing, U-joints, & a few seals. Again all easy to do.

A $19 Haynes manual would be a good start.

I just did mine "complete" ... i.e. pulled the axle shafts & repl. U-joints, & most everything in-between.

For just the wheel bearings....just lay parts on a large clean cloth in the order they came off/out. Install in that same reverse order.
Hey Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo