Fan Clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I have always run a full time fan against the radiator, any one run a fan clutch or am I just dumb tonight, I would like too get more MPG>>>>

BBB

DORF

Reaction score
I have always run a full time fan against the radiator, any one run a fan clutch or am I just dumb tonight, I would like too get more MPG>>>>

BBB

I agree with your thought, a fan that will run is way better that one that should and probably will,but might not! Why not get flex fan blades?

I have see a few clutches go bad and if in the back country seems the less to possibly go wrong , the better!

69bronc347

Reaction score
forget running the fan off the waterpump and use an electric fan. no drag on the engine. and do your self a favor, get a thermostatic switch to turn the fan on so it doesnt get left on or prematurly turned on

Seabronc

Reaction score
See these for the electric fan conversion http://www.supermoto...ry/media/402968 http://www.fordmuscl...icfan/index.php . If you run an electric fan, then you should consider putting in at least a 135 amp 3G alternator. The fan puts drag on the engine only when it is running, the drag comes on from the load it puts on the alternator. Most aftermarket fans don't have enough CFM to properly cool the engine when it is needed most, truck not moving or moving real slowly. With an electric fan under normal street driving, you will find that the fan does not run a majority of the time. Mine only runs when I'm setting still at a light or in traffic for a few minutes. In the winter it almost never comes on and in the real hot days of Summer it comes on below 30 MPH.

With your truck having a full time fan, you will get an additional advantage of having a fully effective fan when you are poking along on a trail. I have a Lincoln Mark VIII fan which pulls around 3200 CFM when it is running. But like I said, it really needs a 3G alternator to support it and other electrical loads when the fan is running especially when it starts, (starting current is close to 100 amps and then it immediately settles down to 30 amps), the stock 95 Amp alternators are a little light.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Scodge

Reaction score
How do you fit those OEM style fans in between the radiator and the water pump? There isn't anything like enough room to get that into my rig. That's why I'm considering the Explorer Serp belt conversion, but that seems like a huge project I'd like to avoid if possible.

Seabronc

Reaction score
How do you fit those OEM style fans in between the radiator and the water pump? There isn't anything like enough room to get that into my rig. That's why I'm considering the Explorer Serp belt conversion, but that seems like a huge project I'd like to avoid if possible.
If there is a fan blade on the end of your water pump, there is more than enough room for the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. You would be surprised how much space the mechanical fan takes up.

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23