Expert opinion needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tholliday

Reaction score
My son and I are building a '71 Bronco. We have no idea what we are doing so please help with any thoughts. We bought a '71 302 engine that was originally in a Torino that will be the powerhouse. We are currently rebuilding the 302 with a 331 stroker kit. Will add Edelbrook aluminum heads and a roller cam. We are thinking about We are thinking about 36" tires, Dana 44 front axel with 4.56 gears and a 9" rear/ 31 spline. Like I said, I have no idea what we are doing but am I on the right track?

Thanks for any help.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Make sure you have matching gearing in the front and rear differentials. 4.56 should put your engine in the mid range of the optimal operating RPM for a stock engine at a 55 MPH cruise.

How do you expect to use the vehicle once it is completed? Is it going to be an off road only vehicle, mostly off road with very little on road, daily driver, etc. That makes a lot of difference on how the build up goes. There is a lot of good information out there, but you need to make a decision on where you are going with this.

Good luck,

:)>-

Bronc76

Reaction score
Does it have the original suspension or is it already lifted?

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I am no expert

I will give the same reply too you as I did ahollis I will give my recommendations. Stock 302 fuel injection, automatic c6 or c4 with stock dana 20 transfer case headers rv type came mild intake( t shift has lower gears) j case is ok too, 4.10 gearing for the axles, dana 44 chromoly shafts open up front(no locker)(good for road use and snow), large bearing 9 inch with 31 spline axles and a detroit locker(arb is cool if the dollars are there), 2.5 or 3.5 lift and 33 by 12.5 inch tires aggresive type but not noisey(not mud tires).Front disc and rear drum brakes power of course, power steering your choice. This will make your look cool and still have great driveablilty and still go on the trails your described and you can hold speed on highway hills(you wont hold speed with an over drive trans). Speed and gears calc out as 33 inch tire 2500 rpm 60 mph, 35 inch tire 2500 rpm 65 mph. So build the motor where your going too run it most. Aka pick the right cam not the bottom of the page cam most apps need a rv type smaller cam for torq and fuel econemy and dont over carb if you go that way 600 cfm for 302 with rv cam and headers is just fine if not too much, you can always rejet for altitude.......yes 36 inchers will need 4.56 and if your wheelin hard a np435 manual is a cheap gearing fix (granny at 6.somethin) bah bah bah I will answer all guestions you might have and others will help me and u get where you want too be

BBB

I am going too edit this again my rig is stubidiotic with the 38s a 5 inch lift. I just ended up this way, it needs 10 inches more wheel base if not more too wheel good on rocks and hill climbs. I dont like too take it out except for snow or mud wheelin. Its a tippy beast.

When I have some time and $$$ I will add wheel base. Other wise I drive other rigs that I have for fun wheelin. I heard one rule once. your wheel base should be three times the tire size. Aka 33 in tires 99 inch wheel base, 36 times 3 108 , 38s redonculious on a bronco!!!

But all in all I have found anything past 105 will work just depends if your engina can stay awake when your doing a hill climb or a down hill thats always been my problem thus the propane.

BBB Just my opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Tho.., welcome...

Do fill-in your info pages so we'll know where you are & what you have.

Pick up a few 4X4 magazines & fig. out your expectations, as Seabronc said.

So many folks over-build & the rig just sits or gets sold.

Honestly., you don't need all that 'dragster" power.

Don't forget to use the orig. 4X4 pan off the orig. eng.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Get some Chromoly Axle Shafts for that D44 and 9" when running 36's. Or do it right the first time and get a 1 Ton tunning gear and be safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23