exhaust ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
I want to get a better sounding exhaust for my truck but not sure what to do. My uddy told me just to cut the muffler out a leave the rest. Will that **** my gas mileage? I do have an old flowmaster on my nissan pickup that recently died on me, should that fit on there? What do you guys have for exhaust systems?

shift1313

Reaction score
what year is your truck, what motor is in it. carb or fi? In some cases a better flowing exhaust should actually help your mpg but you probably wont pass emissions.

i wouldnt just cut your muffler off that sounds like crap.

I made a cat back exhaust for my truck for around $30(with a discount) so about $50. i purchased a few pre bent U section, some straights and a $15 summit muffler. I gutted my cats and mocked up the rest of the exhaust to match the stock unit.

on my 85 bronco i have 2.5" exhaust from the "cat" and dump right before the rear wheel. i used a bullet muffler and i think it sounds like crap. It has a deep tone but its just too loud. If you decide to go with a bullet muffler or a glass pack i suggest leaving the cat or cats. if you get rid of the cats i would run a full muffler.

FireWeb13

Reaction score
Well my buddy has a muffler shop... so i can change my set up out when i have to smog it...

he welded a chevy Y pipe where the exhaust manifolds come down together... (3 inch outlet) then he ran straight back (3 inch) with no cat into a super 44 series flowmaster with dual 2 1/2 inch outlets with turndowns like a foot before the rear axle... it sound badass... its loud and when your going slow... it has that deep sound... and when you get on it, it sounds like a racecar..

then when i need to smog it i just have to take it back to him and he'll cut the section where the cat should be, ****** it on both sides and use couplers to put in the new cat...

after i smog it we'll take the cat back out and put the straight pipe back in...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
I have a 1990 bronco with the fi 351w in it, I just passed inspection in may so im good for 2 years. Im really not worried about emissions. When I have to go through my next inspection i could always change the registration to a farm vehicle which is self inspection.

shift1313

Reaction score
what are your fabrication skills? can you do the work yourself? if you have an exhaust pipe expansion tool and a small mig welder you can make a nice system for very little money.

here was the setup i made for my truck for $30. summit gave me $25 free so the true price was about $55. i purchased two 3bolt flanges, welded one on the truck just after the cat and then worked my way back.

exhaust3.JPG

one thing i did was get a center in/offset out muffler so i could mount it sideways and tuck it up a little more. if you do something like this you just have to make sure you have a small hole at the bottom for condensation to drain

exhaust6.JPG

its been on the truck for 3 years now. its got a little tone inside the truck but from outside i was told it sounds nice and deep(this is a 6cylinder).

OP
OP

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
My skills at fabricating are really not that good mostly because I lack experience. Thats one of the reasons I bought my bronco, so I can learn on an older vehicle. I do have friends that are good at welding so i might try the way you did it.

shift1313

Reaction score
the flaring tool for exhaust is simple. you insert it and turn a wrench. it expands and allows you to slide one piece into the other. this is key for welding exhaust(i always do it the hard way though). You can also use Ubolt clamps to hold pipes together if you cant weld. Ive done this in a pinch before when i lost part of my exhaust at night in the rain off road:)

Burns

Reaction score
Just remember that there ARE laws as to how loud it can be. No sense in spending money on a good exhaust setup if they make you rip it off 2 days after you put it on.

OP
OP

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
im not looking for obnoxsiously loud i just want something thats better sounding and a little loud. However I do it I think im gonna leave the cats on it, because one day in the far future I might put headers on it so Im probably gonna have to redo everything anyway.

OP
OP

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
im not looking for obnoxsiously loud i just want something thats better sounding and a little louder. However I do it I think im gonna leave the cats on it, because one day in the far future I might put headers on it so Im probably gonna have to redo everything anyway.

walnuts75

Reaction score
I just cut out my stock muffler and put in a cherry bomb turbo muffler. It sounds a little deeper, but not by much. Im getting ready to duel mine out b/c Im just not satisfied. I've heard good things about using magnaflo mufflers though. I have a friend with a single pipe setup with a magnaflo muffler on his dodge and it sounds pretty good just doesn't have throat to it like a duel exhaust system has.

Croneybones

Reaction score
I have the Thrush cherry bomb, or fart box, as some call it, on my truck. It sounds a little better than stock. I think my issue is that the cats are muffling the sound. You can try what I plan on doing. Scrap yards are paying good money for cat converters because they have platinum, palladium and rhodium which are precious metals in them that are worth a lot of dough. What they give you for one, you can buy a new muffler and some straight pipe. I'm going to hollow out the second cat. There are no emissions requirements where I live.

black beauty

Reaction score
take it from me. go with true dual system. headers and for a deep rumble is 3" pipe back to your 2 super 40 flowmasters and then put turndowns on the flows. also a y-pipe after the header is a good idea if you want to disconnect the side of the y that goes to the mufflers and just run straight headers. sounds mean as ****

shift1313

Reaction score
i just dug up another pic of the exhaust where it hops the axle

P6090018.jpg

FireWeb13

Reaction score
Just remember that there ARE laws as to how loud it can be. No sense in spending money on a good exhaust setup if they make you rip it off 2 days after you put it on.
Hey... Its only illegal... if you get caught... B)

dhpt99

Reaction score
Im goning to try putting on a thrush and running it behind the door ( in front of the rear tire ). I always thought that looked pretty cool. And dual exhaust will improve mpg!!

shift1313

Reaction score
just keep in mind how low it will have to be to clear the frame in that area. unless you cut the body and jump over the frame.

OP
OP

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
So I think I now havve an idea of what Im gonna do. Thanks for all the help and as soon I am done fixing some important things on my bronco, and get some free time from college, Im gonna start working on my exhaust system.

NAGS95

Reaction score
I'm running a cat back system on my Bronco w/302. It's 2.5" pipe with 3" tips...and no mufflers. It sounds real good...nice and throaty. It's not to awfully loud but having a setup like mine is actually illegal..here in MI at least. I had a similar set up on a 02 F-150....I got into the gas a little hard in town and got pulled over by a state trooper. He said he would have let me off with a warning but after he found out I had no mufflers he wrote me up. He did give me a fix it ticket but I paid it anyway cause I wasn't about to take that exhaust back off! The catback, no muffler system on my F150 was quite a bit louder than my Bronco.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23