Engine Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MississippiSlim72

Reaction score
My 88 Bronco 351 EFI idles okay...sometimes idles high for just a minute on start up then gets right. When I put it in gear and press the pedal just a little like you would to start moving it dies. It used to do this occasionally but does it every time now. If you press the pedal quickly and get past the low RPM it runs fine. If you let it idle in gear for a while it will idle fine for awhile then die. Any ideas? Vacuum leaks? TPS? MAP? I haven found any leaks but I am thinking of replacing all the old vacuum hoses just as maintence. Its just weird that its only at just a certain spot in the throttle and if you jump past that it runs fine.

shift1313

Reaction score
sounds like a bad tps. If the voltage the ecu is looking for suddenly goes way up/down or just goes away it might be dumping too much fuel or not enough.

I would also check around the base of your tb to make sure you dont have an air leak there. The gasket between the intake and tb can get sucked in(but appear fine from the outside). This will affect your idle air.

OP
OP
M

MississippiSlim72

Reaction score
sounds like a bad tps. If the voltage the ecu is looking for suddenly goes way up/down or just goes away it might be dumping too much fuel or not enough.

I would also check around the base of your tb to make sure you dont have an air leak there. The gasket between the intake and tb can get sucked in(but appear fine from the outside). This will affect your idle air.

[/qu

Thanks! Will check when I get in from offshore next week

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat