EFI VS. CARB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeiam82

Reaction score
Has anyone who has completed this swap noticed any difference in fuel economy? Other than the obvious reliability boost can anyone tell me anymore pros and cons? 1 of my problems with doing this swap is my original harness was destroyed and i need to purchase a new 1 and i would hate to play around splicing wires into it.

Seabronc

Reaction score
You can get a new harness from RJM http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/ . Carbed engines don't generally get better mileage than an EFI, but who ever bought a Bronco with fuel economy in mind?

Good luck,

peace.gif

Scodge

Reaction score
My mileage went up from about 10 mpg to about 12 mpg after I put in my EFI engine, but I was replacing a pretty worn out motor with a good but used 5.0. The RJM harness is well worth the money, and EFI is pretty easy to diagnose if you have problems, although if you do the conversion right, you shouldn't have any. Reliability is off the charts compared to a carb. Power curve is better, and if you spend some time and some money on it, you can get close to 400bhp out of a 5.0. I would especially do it if I lived in a cold climate or had cold winters to deal with. Do yourself a favor and also buy a gear reduction starter from RJM. Makes a HUGE difference in your engine.

OP
OP
M

mikeiam82

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I was already looking at the RJM harness thinking sheer easy of use would be better than making a stock harness work. Ill also need a complete wiring harness like the centek because the harness in my bronco was all cut out and chucked.

I know 90% of people who build these broncos build them for rock crawling, mud bogging and sand duneing but mine is going 80% pavement pounder 20% off roader so mpg is important as well as reliability. Also im up here in BC but not too far north so we get some good dumps of snow however im not too sure how much winter driving this bronco is going to see.

Im most likely going to do the efi swap i just needed some more info, thanks for the input.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Efi all the way. I ran a carb holley truck avenger and it would stall out on climbs and downhills. Efi should not and it will get the fuel economy. I went wierd and did a propane truck since I did not feel comfy driving it on the freeway, so it was a trailer too the trail rig. It was fun and cool and got 6-8 mpg on the pane on the trail.

BBB Good luck with the conversion

OP
OP
M

mikeiam82

Reaction score
Efi all the way. I ran a carb holley truck avenger and it would stall out on climbs and downhills. Efi should not and it will get the fuel economy. I went wierd and did a propane truck since I did not feel comfy driving it on the freeway, so it was a trailer too the trail rig. It was fun and cool and got 6-8 mpg on the pane on the trail.

BBB Good luck with the conversion
The local snap-on tools guy is a mechanic by trade and his friends and him build fox body mustangs all the time. I scored a speed density EFI 302 for $375, i just need to figure out if i want to run an in tank pump or 2 frame mounted with an accumulator. Im going with 23 gal rear tank instead of the 2 stock.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
The local snap-on tools guy is a mechanic by trade and his friends and him build fox body mustangs all the time. I scored a speed density EFI 302 for $375, i just need to figure out if i want to run an in tank pump or 2 frame mounted with an accumulator. Im going with 23 gal rear tank instead of the 2 stock.
Sweet it will make it a way better ride for everything you put at it . Congrats for doing the EFI

Add 23 gallon efi tank

Last edited by a moderator:

riggermortis

Reaction score
i added speed density efi to mine and it gets about 12 to 14 mpg that is combined city and hwy just everyday driving. i love it ! fires right up every time, and im pretty sure it would run upside down if all the oil wouldnt run out. i went with two external pumps, and was planning on putting the accumulator in just didnt have the cash when i did it(it was done on a very tight budget). i know everyone says you need one for the two pump idea but i have been running mine without one for 7 to 8 years now with no problems, so it has fallen very low on the priority list. i have been collecting the parts to switch over to mass air because i have heard that it gets even better fuel mileage and more power. but as far as the over all picture IMO its way worth the time and $$!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948