EFI to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Im fed up ive spent easily 300 in sensors and my truck will not run right (feels like im driving a tank on 1 cylinder while it backfires left and right) so Im swtiching from efi to carbuerated i think. I need to know what parts I need besides the obvious intake and carb (linkage, new gas lines?) im to the point where id rather shoot it than buy another sensor. :angry:

ocalabronco

Reaction score
i can't remember what year your rig is, but you'll most likely have to figure out a way to control the flow of fuel since both your pumps are setup to supply pressurized fuel to a EFI'd motor, not carb. im know somebody out there makes a conversion setup, just gotta dig around.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hvae you verified the firing order some use the 351W firing order and some the 302 firing order and its only like a couple wires switched around but it will start and run just not good at all . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Its a 92 and its just gotten progressively worse so I dont know what it could be anymore (ran decent minus a startup problem thats been lessened when the motor was rebuilt) It is a roller motor too

Last edited by a moderator:

BLADE262US

Reaction score
You can try unhooking the battery for about 20 min or so then see how it runs if it runs better for a little bit then goes back the way it was it still has a bad sensor . When you unhook the power from the EEC like that it will dump all the trouble codes and when you power it up it will look at all the sensors and take vales form them that get entered into a table for use after it runs for awhile it will compare that value to a know good value in another table if the values dont get close in a certain amount of time it will set the code again . Have you hooked a code reader to it yet ? Hows the EGR valve does it move freely ? Have you checked your base timing with the spout connector unplugged to se where it is ( I had mistakenly left my distributor loose shortly after installing the new motor and the ditributor moved while running it down the road started back firing and running like shit until it warmed up then it seemed fine but a lack of power ended up while the motor is cold the EEC adavnces the timing well the distributor had turned to the advance side to the base timing was way up there and when the coolant sensor for the computer ( there is 2 ) showed it was cold it advanced the timing an ungodly ammount so it ran that way till it got the signal it was warm and ******** it a bit . I would still verify what your firing order is and make sure the plug wires are in the right spots I know you can switch 2 of them I think on the drivers side areound and it will start and run fine just has a loss of power and once in awhile backfiring . Dont give up on the EFI yet just educate yourself on how it works its not that hard . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Go to fordfuelinjection.com and read alot it will help just take one sensor at a time and understand what its function in life is .

Seabronc

Reaction score
You may have spent a bit of money on this so far, but the conversion will cost you alot more. Why not just take it to a dealer or a real good mechanic and let them fix it. I'm sure it will be less than the cost of conversion.

I always have a backup mechanic that I can swallow my pride and go to when I seem to be in over my head on something. That way you can build a relationship with a good local mechanic that will allow you to pick his brain once in a while :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . It might take some asking around to find one but worth it.

That's my .02 on it.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
The mechanics around here are questionable. I also dont even want to think what they are going to try and tell me I need and how much itll cost if I cant do it. What would all be needed for a conversion and will it all work with my tranny?

Seabronc

Reaction score
The mechanics around here are questionable. I also dont even want to think what they are going to try and tell me I need and how much itll cost if I cant do it. What would all be needed for a conversion and will it all work with my tranny?
27572[/snapback]

Trash your computer, use a MSD ignition system or a stock Ford Duraspark II, adapt the transmission kickdown and gas linkage. Probably have to change gas tanks to a non EFI mid 80's style and new sending unit. Assuming you are just going to strip the EFI stuff off the existing engine, a non EFI intake manafold like a Edelbrock Performer and some sort of 4 BBL carb.

I know you don't care, but that also makes your truck illegal as a road vehicle. As in most states you must comply to the emissions requirements of the year the truck was manufactured. Here that is only a visual for vehicles 96 and older.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
My truck is already illegal but I appreciate the warning, my dads out racing it up and down the driveway so maybe he fixed it and I wont look at it and whimper anymore. :)>-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat