E40d to AOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason powers

Reaction score
I have a 1990 bronco xlt auto 5.8 4x4 with a E4OD transmission so trans no good now can I replace it with an AOD transmission also from a 1990 bronco and also can I switch the transfer case

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The E4OD requires a computer, the AOD does not.(unless you are talking the AOD-E)

Though it may physically bolt in place the AOD will need a kick down cable ( I think can't remember)

Also I believe both transmissions used the 1356 transfercase so you should be good to go there.

I am assuming you have one just laying around? The AOD is kind of a backwards step.

E4OD is longer so drive shafts will need reworked and cross member moved.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
You can swap from a E4OD to a AOD and keep your existing T-case.

You will need the Driveshafts, kickdown cable. shift linkage, PCM, and cross member to help complete the swap. If you have all those parts already then this swap will be easier then not. Would even be great to have a well documented swap from a meber here on the site.

However in my opinion, if you have to source parts then you might consider fixing the E4OD. I was working on swapping my E4OD for a C6 and I even purchased the parts to make the swap happen. In the end I still took my E4OD to the trans shop and had it repaired. Cost less in the end.

OP
OP
J

Jason powers

Reaction score
You can swap from a E4OD to a AOD and keep your existing T-case.

You will need the Driveshafts, kickdown cable. shift linkage, PCM, and cross member to help complete the swap. If you have all those parts already then this swap will be easier then not. Would even be great to have a well documented swap from a meber here on the site.

However in my opinion, if you have to source parts then you might consider fixing the E4OD. I was working on swapping my E4OD for a C6 and I even purchased the parts to make the swap happen. In the end I still took my E4OD to the trans shop and had it repaired. Cost less in the end.
Might just do that thank you

pappy19

Reaction score
The E4OD requires a computer, the AOD does not.(unless you are talking the AOD-E)

Though it may physically bolt in place the AOD will need a kick down cable ( I think can't remember)

Also I believe both transmissions used the 1356 transfercase so you should be good to go there.

I am assuming you have one just laying around? The AOD is kind of a backwards step.

E4OD is longer so drive shafts will need reworked and cross member moved.
The E4OD is a decent transmission if you add a Transgo shift kit. Makes a big difference.

chrlsful

Reaction score
What is ur APPLICATION?
Every automotive choice asks the 'end use', driving conditions, etc Q.
/OR/
as said above (ur like me) it's cheepest option due to need for immediate return to service or sim consideration...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke