Drive train rattle in my 1967 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aemiarge

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Bronco 408 stroker with a 6R80 transmission, running 456 posi rear end. I am experiencing a rattle sound in 1st through 3rd gear, I suspect the angle of the drive shaft is too severe. I have a 3" suspension lift. I am wondering if I should swith out the lift to a 2" to change the angle?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use shims to adjust the pinion angles.

Do you only hear it accelerating or decelerating? Or all the time?

chrlsful

Reaction score
put an angle finder on it or measure it. I think 3* is OK. More needs 2 cadarm style (can't spell, sounds like that) ends stead of just one. We also put degree shims on the rear spring perches to get back the correct angle there
From your description I have no idea if this is the cause of ur noise. Remote (on line) diagnosis is very difficult (even w/a vid as sounds do not transfer well on tiny puter speakers). Worth a try tho.

Nxt make sure that is where it is comming from. move around in the vehicle and out side as this sound is heard (have another drive while U R in ALSO walk out side as it is moving. Last (along these same lines) U can isolate the sound to assist location, remove drive shaft frm the equasion w/a drop at frnt /transmis end & similar adventures...

Many do not know these vehicles & jump on the sales wagon as they rec such hi prices. We inherit the lack of knowledge when we purchase...there is a 50 yr history of POs & their mods to deal w/as well. All must be addressed w/in the time constraints of local or state laws in order to seek assistance when wronged over certain financial guidelines...
8^ 0

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23