Drive Line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brenden84

Reaction score
hey guys, i still have a clunking/squeeking in my driveline. i took it in and he said i need to rebuild it or buy a new shaft. The weird thing is he said that i have CV joints on both sides but i dont think this can be right becuase theres no grease boot and it looks like u joints. do they even make cv shafts for the rear on broncos?

i know a new drive shaft is pricy with labor and all so is it better to have the joint rebuilt or just buy a new shaft all together?

thanks- brenden

STLKIKN

Reaction score
CV stands for constant velocity, it's a term that is used for several styles of driveline joints.

The Bronco uses a "double cardan" u-joint system, commonly referred to as a CV joint.

The double cardan consists of a yoke, a u-joint, a centre yoke (h shaped) and a centering socket yoke w/ pivot ball (inside the centre yoke) which in turn connect to both another u-joint and finally to the drive shaft... kinda hard to explain. here's a pic from Chilton. Because this system uses u-joints there is no need for boots.

2Duble_card.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

brenden84

Reaction score
o ok. cool. thanks for the info. im actually about to go pick up my truck from the shop, 403 bucks with labor included for a new joint. hopefully they did a good job. i'll tel u guys about it later. peace

brenden

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat