Darn check eng light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I got the codes 0171 and 0174 that correspond to Bank 1 and 2 system too lean.

So can I assume that means all cylinders are lean?

Would the most likely cause be a fuel filter or pump? The filter was replaced about 15K ago.

I have limited tools to check fuel preasure, so any advice would be great.

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
I got the codes 0171 and 0174 that correspond to Bank 1 and 2 system too lean.So can I assume that means all cylinders are lean?

Would the most likely cause be a fuel filter or pump? The filter was replaced about 15K ago.

I have limited tools to check fuel preasure, so any advice would be great.

Sorry I forgot the basic info: Eddie Bauer 96 302 stock except for cold air intake, very well maintained.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
I cant remember but do you have a MAF on it?They are suppossed to read 4-7 grams/sec on a fully warmed up engine.If its reading less than that It can lean out your fuel,causing those 2 codes.Also check for a vacume leak,it'll do the same thing.Alot of people I know that put the cold air system on a ford end up putting the stock stuff back on because of this problem.Its either a spec of dirt wipes out the mass air flow or something with the air flow through the cold airs somehow find a way to throw the MAF.If the cold air is whats causing it,your better off putting the stock tubes back on. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
I cant remember but do you have a MAF on it?They are suppossed to read 4-7 grams/sec on a fully warmed up engine.If its reading less than that It can lean out your fuel,causing those 2 codes.Also check for a vacume leak,it'll do the same thing.Alot of people I know that put the cold air system on a ford end up putting the stock stuff back on because of this problem.Its either a spec of dirt wipes out the mass air flow or something with the air flow through the cold airs somehow find a way to throw the MAF.If the cold air is whats causing it,your better off putting the stock tubes back on. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Forgot about that...yes I got a MAF system. I don't think the cold air intake is a problem. I have had the truck for 4 years and it came with it on when I got it. Ran fine for that long and I have never had those codes. And I don't have any stock tubes to put on, :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If there is a problem with the MAF why wouldn't a code popup specifically for the MAF.

Is there a way to get the system to run in "open loop" so I can isolate if the MAF?

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
BTWDo you mean an open-element air filter? They ****. I recommend you put the stock box back & get a drop-in. Those cones are horrible about leaks, which can contaminate the MAF & result in these (& other) codes.
Thats what Im talking about.Everyone I know that has this setup on Fords all seem to eventually get the same problem,,,Lean codes.And 90% of the time its the MAf getting contaminated because of that setup.Heck weve had customers just change their dirty air filter and wipe out the MAF because of a spec of dirt got to it.It may have been on there for a while but the is no set time for when it can take out a MAF.

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
Any body else have the cold air...er, Cone/ open air element, (sorry Steve.) on their truck.

I was hoping to gather more info on the occurances of this problem and see if it may be more prominant in certain geographic regins, or more indigeneous to truck that are driven in certain terrain, (eg mudding, offroad,)

I don't have the original box to put back on, and would like a little more info befor trying to get one.

I also ahve to consider that if there is the possibility of wiping out a MAF, just with the process of changing the filter I may not be running any greater risk.

After my MAF is original and has 145K on it

BTW erased the codes and had some Seafoam at home so I used it and I'm driving it...I'll let you guys know if it comes back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco