Cyntech Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wilcom

Reaction score
I just got my Cyntech wiring harness and laid it out to check it over. I have a 1970 bronco, 320 by the way. I stripped out the old wire and all and then looked at the Cyntech.....it is made to fit in the glove box and mine had the fuse box above the gas pedal with connectors through the firewall for everything. I dont like the glove box deal since I have a roll bar that closes it off some what and it is cramped in there anyway. It also has so many, many more wires than the original bronco for other features and options I dont use that make the harness real thick and stiff.

Does any one have a suggestion on where to put the fuse box? If is stays over by the glove box then it dosent seem to be laid out properly like my Broncos old wiring.....seems to be reversed as to the locations for the switches and the rear wiring for lights to run. I dont want to cut a bunch of dash out so I would like to ditch some of the wiring that I dont use and get the harness down to an acceptable beast.

Any ideas on the wires to ditch and the fuse box location? The fuse box is pretty chincy, and is all exposed except for the face plate they give you which is pretty hokey. I may just return it if I cant get this dog trained.

FYI, I am electrically inclined and pretty mechanical, I just dont want a bunch of wiring that is not being used or will ever be used. I like it clean and neat.

Any help out there??[/size][/size]

Seabronc

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you except call the manufacturer. I'm sure that they have a support group.

Good luck,

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I often wondered how that worked out with the two locations of the fuse box....& the thru the firewall connections.

When working with the early Land Cruisers.., many guys built their own kit, using the old set-up as a pattern.

(about 1/4 the price)

Cyntec, Painless.., & I believe there's one other kit out there that's EB specific that some on this board have spoke well of.

Do post your results & if the Mfgr. has a cure for this.

B

OP
OP
W

wilcom

Reaction score
I often wondered how that worked out with the two locations of the fuse box....& the thru the firewall connections.
When working with the early Land Cruisers.., many guys built their own kit, using the old set-up as a pattern.

(about 1/4 the price)

Cyntec, Painless.., & I believe there's one other kit out there that's EB specific that some on this board have spoke well of.

Do post your results & if the Mfgr. has a cure for this.

B
Ok, no problem. I have gotten a bit farther now and have the harness pretty much figured out as far as the layout. It will require making some firewall holes bigger, drilling more 2" holes on the passenger side and modifiying the oridinal fuse block hole location....what a pain. Also I am still trying to figure out what wires I dont need that they give you. Looks like about 8 of them are for an automatic trans and some other items. Havent figured out where I am going to put the new fuse block....its just hanging there now but i for sure wont put it in or on the glove box. I may make a bracket to mount if off the heater duct or motor or just make a housing for it and let it hang tucked up inside.

I have tried calling the Centech technical help line and no one answers so I guess I will muddle on and keep trying them and inventing solutions as I go forward.

I shurly would not recommend this to a novice.....I have 30 years of electrical experience and its a pain in the ass for me. I will keep you posted and try and take some pics to send along.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
My buddy made a sealed box out of his driverside air box port area. To get to the area, you need to open the hood but it works great. He used a simple wing nut to hold the cover on with gasketing underneath to seal.

OP
OP
W

wilcom

Reaction score
My buddy made a sealed box out of his driverside air box port area. To get to the area, you need to open the hood but it works great. He used a simple wing nut to hold the cover on with gasketing underneath to seal.

mmmm....sounds interesting. I am thinking of making a box but letting it stay in the glove box area under the dash am maybe tuck it up on top of the heater box. That way I can always reach up and grab it and bring it down into the light to check it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
FYI

Along those lines., & for those with stock wiring, who need to add accessories......

I mounted an aux. fuse block on the firewall, directly behind the air-cleaner.

Easy to see., easy to clean if necess.., easy to label, & easy to add accessory do-dads to.

1 heavy (12V) wire to the block & all hot wires thru the firewall are fused.

Block has a capacity of 6 & I've now used all of them.! Shoulda put in a bigger block.!

But., it would be easy to add another if & when needed....... :-B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

wilcom

Reaction score
Ok, here are some pictures of what the bronco looks like with the dash off and old wiring gone. I took me sever hours to figure out how i wanted to run the Centech harness since the only harness they have is with the new fuse block located in the glove box and mine was above the gas peddle before.

I called Centech about where to place the fuse block since I dont like the glove box option with a roll bar leg there. ....hard to see the fuses. Nope, they have no solutioins. also there harness does not take into account the aftermarket halogen head lights i have either. It does come with all kinds of extra wire for the automatic trans but I have 4 spd so I am cutting those back.

You have to cut a new hole into the firewall above the emergency break to fit the new cable through or just enlarge the old hole....I made a new one since i may want to use the other one in the future and will plug if for now.

I will have to also drill another 2" hole above the heater core on the right side as well to feed the other cables through since this is the way the bronco with the stock fuse panel in the glove box was done. Mine had the main cables going through the firewall above the old fuse block so i will plug that one up. Havent decided where to punch through above the heater area since I have not gotten that far yet. probably above and to the right of the heater location.

Since I am not going to mount their fuse panel in the glove box I will have to make, buy, invent a box or backing to put it into since they dont provide one....pretty hokey of them. I figure I can enclose it into some sort of sealed housing and just tuck it up on top of the heater blower unit and then reach up and pull it down when I need to get at it. The ambilical they have is real sturdy and can take the moving around ok.

Be advised, this is no way a single day job. by the time you plan the layout and compare it to the directions you scratch your head a bit...the directions are not real precise and there are now pictures or examples. This is where Centech falls down. You can call their tech services but you have to have exactly written down what it is you need to ask. So far i have a two page list of questions about matching their wiring to the stock wire colors which are different.

heater_area_with_fuse_panel.JPG

Full_under_dash_view.JPG

Heater_area_with_fuse_panel__2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23