Converting 88' to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I've got a friend who's lost his patience troubleshooting his EFI and wants to convert his 88' over to a carb. Never actually having retrofitted one before I wanted to ck with anyone who's done it to see what we need. Obviously we need the intake & carb as well as a durasparkII distributor & ignition module, but what else ? I don't know if the 88's even have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump anymore, how about bypassing the HP pump & using the LP fuel pump w/a regulator ? Or is it better to just run a new elec fuel pump meant to feed a carb ?

Any help will be appreciated.

ryanbass2

Reaction score
I've got a friend who's lost his patience troubleshooting his EFI and wants to convert his 88' over to a carb. Never actually having retrofitted one before I wanted to ck with anyone who's done it to see what we need. Obviously we need the intake & carb as well as a durasparkII distributor & ignition module, but what else ? I don't know if the 88's even have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump anymore, how about bypassing the HP pump & using the LP fuel pump w/a regulator ? Or is it better to just run a new elec fuel pump meant to feed a carb ?
Any help will be appreciated.
you pretty much know everything you need for it. i would get a fuel sender for the tank from a carbed bronco and run a aftermarket electric pump for a carb. you will need a balast wire for the duraspark II coil triggered by the ignition switch along with a trigger wire for power to igntion box (use a blue tag box). you can go to a junk yard and find a duraspark ford and take the wire loom between the igniton box and the distributor thats about all you need. i have a 81 bronco with

EEC III engine control ( cali bronco with crap variable venturi carb computer controlled) so after i smog it i put a dist out of a duraspark II put a 4 barel carter and change igniton box from a brown tag box to a blue tag thats it but i start with a carbed engine though. you think the EFI is hard to figure out try messin with a EEC III controled bronco from 81'

ford_302

Reaction score
im doing the same with my 89, except i blew up my 302 efi and i built a 351w carbed. the block and heads i bought were out of a 90 bronco. i bought an edelbrock intake for an 85 351w. most intakes before that (give or take a few years) didnt have a rear water crossover passedge. as far as a distributor im going to buy an HEI, BroncoGraveYard sells them for $110. and i was going to leave my supply pump in the tank and replace the high pressure with a baisic fule pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23