camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
i dont know if anyone else has run into this problem. i bored out my 400m, new cam bearings and reground crank. lightly re-sufaced valves and ordered me a rv cam with springs. put it together,using cam **** provided. used a drill to pressure up the block so it would not start dry. ran the engine long enough to make it to the end of my road twice.. engine starts poping and behold 2 cam lobes are wore down and lifter ruined. forums say i cannot use exhaust rotators on my exhast valves with rv cam. well i have 1 intake lobe and 1 exhaust lobe wore down, not on the same cylinders. so that kills that theory. even so if the rotators are a problem it should have said so with cam instructions. i was suppose to be just installing a mild cam not a raddicle race cam. that being said when i ordered my rv cam they said it was out of stock but substitute it with another cam with same specs. ooops. i think thats where i got duped. aint no telling what junk he sent me and would not refund my money. i tired of getting ripped off.....

johnnyreb

Reaction score
i dont know if anyone else has run into this problem. i bored out my 400m, new cam bearings and reground crank. lightly re-sufaced valves and ordered me a rv cam with springs. put it together,using cam **** provided. used a drill to pressure up the block so it would not start dry. ran the engine long enough to make it to the end of my road twice.. engine starts poping and behold 2 cam lobes are wore down and lifter ruined. forums say i cannot use exhaust rotators on my exhast valves with rv cam. well i have 1 intake lobe and 1 exhaust lobe wore down, not on the same cylinders. so that kills that theory. even so if the rotators are a problem it should have said so with cam instructions. i was suppose to be just installing a mild cam not a raddicle race cam. that being said when i ordered my rv cam they said it was out of stock but substitute it with another cam with same specs. ooops. i think thats where i got duped. aint no telling what junk he sent me and would not refund my money. i tired of getting ripped off.....
Contact them and ask them for a refund. The way you were done.Ask to speak to the main person and get their name. If they refuse. Tell them you will contact the state attorney general of your sate and do it. Walmart refused to refund my money on a bad batteyr00$129.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Contact them and ask them for a refund. The way you were done.Ask to speak to the main person and get their name. If they refuse. Tell them you will contact the state attorney general of your sate and do it. Walmart refused to refund my money on a bad batteyr00$129.
They refunded my money.When I showed them the letter from the SAG. Good luck.

OP
OP
W

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
They refunded my money.When I showed them the letter from the SAG. Good luck.
unfortunately i ordered this cam back in december {e-bay} when i went through the engine.just now put it in truck and they have a 60 day return policy. e-bay wont aliow me contact info.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
unfortunately i ordered this cam back in december {e-bay} when i went through the engine.just now put it in truck and they have a 60 day return policy. e-bay wont aliow me contact info.
Sorry to hear that. I and probable other do the same thing. I,m working 2 -78,s and was ordering parts for both of them. I ,m getting their-but slowly.Hope to take one out in a fews days. Not in a hurry now--still shell shocked from the fire I was in. Trying to put a engine fire out on one.Safed it,but ended up in the burn center. Everything is coming along good .,but that fire. Got everything fixed of the fire damage(hope so at least)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Do you still have the old cam? Is it in good shape? If so use it and get different timing gears. Get the ones the point straight up and down and do away with the ones came on it. It will help in power and gas mileage.

chrlsful

Reaction score
not sure what U want.

U should B clear w/them if seeking something (again specific). Please say what that is here ($ back, nother cam, originally asked for cam, exact duplicate, & so forth). To prove "not @ fault".
1st assure U R not (how many of these specific & other engines you have rebuilt)? That U followed dozens and dozens of steps properly (degreeded cam, measured tolarences, used plastigauge, dia indicators, assembly ***** break in & oil change, etc, etc).
When all is said'n done there is alota wrk in this effort. As a final step I'd have an ASME or what ever credential that is (just a guy who wrks as mechanic but 'has papers") sign a paper he wrote backin up ur 'claim' for sending to them.

Sorry but Aholes make us jump thru hoops to get what we want.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your issues. This is why we do not purchase parts from eBay, yes we pay a little more but we get the correct parts and we can return them is there is an issue. May have to chalk it up to a hard lesson learned. Do let eBay know of the issues with the company (seller).

blksn8k

Reaction score
OP
OP
W

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
Good article on proper camshaft break-in and oils for engines with flat tappet cams:

i have built hundreds of engines over the years and if a camshft that was properly lubed during assembly wears out in less than 2 hrs running.it was not case hardened at manufacturer thus a junk cam or valve springs not a match for cam.

OP
OP
W

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
i have built hundreds of engines over the years and if a camshft that was properly lubed during assembly wears out in less than 2 hrs running.it was not case hardened at manufacturer thus a junk cam or valve springs not a match for cam.
anyhow falon global out of memphis sold me the cam and does not stand by what he sells

ragtop69

Reaction score
This all made me remember breaking in a cam in my '69 Mustang 302 convertible. I had a small business in a strip mall in a small industrial park. I was not in an automotive business but I had a roll up with a two car bay and I did work on my hobby in the evenings and on weekends. I have always been told that, after liberally lubricating a new cam with Marvel Mystery Oil or other such break-in oil, you should fire up the engine and let it run for about twenty minutes, varying the rpm to avoid making ridges in your cylinder walls, and not shutting down. I had just had the 302 rebuilt as a short block by a local machine shop and reassembled and reinstalled it in my shop. It was a Saturday so I rolled the Mustang out in back and fired it up. I hadn't installed the exhaust beyond the new headers so it was wide open. A new tenant of the mall about three doors down from my shop was a wine seller. Who would have guessed that he was holding a Saturday tasting. Anyway, I'm out there with the old Mustang making hellacious noise with the open headers and I realize that the roll up on the wine shop is open. Then I see all these people with wine stems standing in back glaring at me in my car. I didn't want to shut it down so I toughed it out. At the end of the longest 20 minutes in history I rolled it back into my shop. I put off visiting the wine vendor until the next Monday and then explained why I didn't shut the Mustang down and begged forgiveness.🥵

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
This all made me remember breaking in a cam in my '69 Mustang 302 convertible. I had a small business in a strip mall in a small industrial park. I was not in an automotive business but I had a roll up with a two car bay and I did work on my hobby in the evenings and on weekends. I have always been told that, after liberally lubricating a new cam with Marvel Mystery Oil or other such break-in oil, you should fire up the engine and let it run for about twenty minutes, varying the rpm to avoid making ridges in your cylinder walls, and not shutting down. I had just had the 302 rebuilt as a short block by a local machine shop and reassembled and reinstalled it in my shop. It was a Saturday so I rolled the Mustang out in back and fired it up. I hadn't installed the exhaust beyond the new headers so it was wide open. A new tenant of the mall about three doors down from my shop was a wine seller. Who would have guessed that he was holding a Saturday tasting. Anyway, I'm out there with the old Mustang making hellacious noise with the open headers and I realize that the roll up on the wine shop is open. Then I see all these people with wine stems standing in back glaring at me in my car. I didn't want to shut it down so I toughed it out. At the end of the 20 minutes I rolled it back into my shop. I put off visiting the wine vendor until the next Monday and then explained why I didn't shut the Mustang down and begged forgiveness.🥵
Oh if they glared at me. I,d really mad them mad. I guess it was ok for them to get half lit .Get in the car and drive off and risked other peoples lives. Besides,they were winos and you were probably causing their headache--to throb me.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I,m getting ready to rebuild the 400 in my 78 bronco. A cousin said he,s had good luck out of Howard cams. Are they still making good cams.Anyone run them?

OX1

Reaction score
anyhow falon global out of memphis sold me the cam and does not stand by what he sells

That's a shame. These days I have summit match an E-bay price, unless it is an under 30$ item.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke