CA SMOG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobeginner123

Reaction score
I need a smog inspection to get my base sticker, in no possible way will my truck pass,(no Cats) is there anyone within a 40 mile area of Fallbrook, Ca that knows of a place where i can Buy a certificate??? Thanks for the help

MDDYATV

Reaction score
Are you from cali? When I was stationed in San Diego I did not have to get one cause my car had Washington plates. maybe you can get it registered from the state you are from.

Roadkill

Reaction score
I'm with MDDYATV, if you are military and your home of record has no inspection, try to get it registered there. If you look at my picture, you'll see that I have New Mexico plates (my home of record) even though I am stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. It's perfectly legal and an added benifit is my home state let's me register two years at a time and still charges less than one year in TX. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you go that route, you should be able to do everything through the mail or with a special power of attorney to a trusted person. Your home state will probably need to verify the VIN# and odometer reading for the title. Most states will accept an affidavit from a law enforcement agency where you live as verification. You should be able to get that at the Provost Marshal's Office (Police Station) on your base for free.

I recomend you try to get around the inspection legally before you try to buy a false document. The chances of getting caught are slim, but the fines can be hefty. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trying to speak down from my high horse, I'm just throwing in my 2cents. B)

OP
OP
B

Broncobeginner123

Reaction score
I have plates and registration from my home state, but for some reason i need a smog inspection from cali to be able to get a base sticker. My home state does not do emissions for the year of my truck. im just trying to figure out how to get a certificate so i can get my base sticker..

MDDYATV

Reaction score
With you being in fallbrook are you attached to Camp Pendelton? I dont see how they can make you get your car smoged if its not from california. I am in the navy and stationed here in nevada let me know what base you are at and I will do a little research.

Roadkill

Reaction score
I have plates and registration from my home state, but for some reason i need a smog inspection from cali to be able to get a base sticker. My home state does not do emissions for the year of my truck. im just trying to figure out how to get a certificate so i can get my base sticker..
That's a new one for me, but I have never been stationed in Cali. (Been to NTC a few times :angry: , but I wasn't registering any cars!) California being overrun with tree-huggers, maybe there's some kind of agreement between military and the state about the smog tests in exchange for something else. I mean they got the marines limited to a 300 meter stretch of beach to practice amphibious landings; utterly rediculous! There are miles of beach "owned" by the Marine Corps and they can only use 300 meters!

Anyway, enough ranting about things I can't change. I do have a friend that used to work at the Ft. Irwin PMO. I'll send him a message and see if he can offer any advice. May take a few days to get an answer back.

MDDYATV

Reaction score
I am still working on it I talked to a guy down at pass and decal he gave me the instruction that I am trying to hunt down. he said he went thru the same thing and told me there was no loop holes. He said that this started back in 96. I find that hard to believe cause I was there until 2000 and I never had to get mine smoged. there is one way that involves a razor blade superglue and a wrecking yard. but we wont go there.

OP
OP
B

Broncobeginner123

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes, i am on Camp Pendelton. registered through New Hampshire. just got here 3 weeks ago and just put my true dual on alittle over a month ago, would hate to have to take it off to put a stock one on to get a certificate, then put my new one back on, big pain. Thanks for the help..

MDDYATV- would love to hear about the "razor blade superglue and a wrecking yard." lol

MDDYATV

Reaction score
Well I was an E-2 in the Navy Stationed at Miramar. When it was a Navy Base and the drinking age on base was 18 well you can imagine where my money went. well some how my sticker got scraped for parking somewhere that i was not suppose to went to pass and decal to get a new one and hey my insurance is expired and payday is a long ways away. so I headed south to Ecology auto wrecking down by the border. there is always cars there with stickers lets just say a razor blade and some superglue and I was back on base.

Roadkill

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Marine bases, do you guys have Auto Craft Shops on post? If so, you might find some help from the gearheads there. Someone there will probably know of a local garage/inspection station that has somewhat "loose" inspection standards. If the Shop itself does inspections, don't expect any help from the staff (it's been my experiance that inspectors that work on military instalations are usually retired Sergeant Major's who don't realize that they are retired), but the customers working on their own cars will be the best source of info; look for someone working on a muscle car with aftermarket exhaust.

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Let us know what you find, Just curious. In late 90s all emissions test stations were connected to the DMV data base in Sacramento. The last SMOG Cert for my 68 was lets say..........................purchased, It showed emmisions numbers of a 97 Ford. You cant do this with the new computer system. You might ask you're local DMV about taking it to a " REFEREE " since you actually live out of state. Cali smog laws are getting really tight, especially south of Sac.

terprugr

Reaction score
Let us know what you find, Just curious. In late 90s all emissions test stations were connected to the DMV data base in Sacramento. The last SMOG Cert for my 68 was lets say..........................purchased, It showed emmisions numbers of a 97 Ford. You cant do this with the new computer system. You might ask you're local DMV about taking it to a " REFEREE " since you actually live out of state. Cali smog laws are getting really tight, especially south of Sac.
Go to "quick smog in PB". A little bit of a ride for you, but it will be worth it. It is a no pass no pay place. You have to be able to pass the test - but if your engine is in shape it really should. I don't think that they are really tough on the visual inspection though since they passed me and I have illegal headers, smog pump disconnected, and true duals going out behind the pass side tire. The base sticker thing is for real. I am a SSgt formerly stationed at Miramar. There's no getting out of it bro. I just moved to Monterey for the Language Institute and now I have to find a friendly place up here.

EnginerdMTB

Reaction score
I am also currently registered in New Hampshire, and considering moving back to CA... My smog pump is seized, and was bypassed by the previous owner with a shorter belt and plumbing removed. Does anyone know if I would have to add the system back in, or if it's ok if I just replace the failed pump with one of those bypass idler pulleys and install the stock sized belt or something... (I have a new style catalytic converter that supposedly does not require the air pump to operate properly).

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also currently registered in New Hampshire, and considering moving back to CA... My smog pump is seized, and was bypassed by the previous owner with a shorter belt and plumbing removed. Does anyone know if I would have to add the system back in, or if it's ok if I just replace the failed pump with one of those bypass idler pulleys and install the stock sized belt or something... (I have a new style catalytic converter that supposedly does not require the air pump to operate properly).
My understanding is that the vehicle must meet the emissions according to year of production. So if it came from the factory with it, then yes you need it.

Probably have to add it back in.

Hopefully some one else can verify, but you don't necessarily have to buy new. Pick a part yard, or someone parting a vehicle on FB

The short time I was in CA the parts had to be there, Didn't matter if they worked or not as long as the tail pipe emissions were clean enough. But that was also almost 30 years ago and small town in Northern CA

EnginerdMTB

Reaction score
That's what I suspected, I'm just wondering if the average smog tech would know to look for a smog pump, as it seems like a relatively outdated system that wouldn't be obvious to look for if they're used to inspecting more contemporary vehicles. Although, I guess small block fords are common enough that this might not be true. Maybe I'll just make a stop in MI, or another 'non inspection' state to register it there.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...register it there..."
what's the ratio of MT registered vehicles to CA registered
driving the sts of Cali? Sure seems high. Wonder Y they dont use NV?

My Commonwealth (MA) used to have alota VT regestrations on cadiliacs owned by 'the mafia'
(runnin RI too). They quit cuz it was almost a sure bet the combo, seen anywhere, would be from "the Family". Now days it's "unable to register anywhere else" (title issues) that hasa VT plate...

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Had some friends in Ca that had kids living in TN so their car and pickup were registered to their kids.

Always thought at some point an officer would say something, but far as I know nobody has ever said a thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke